Comcast, AT&T U-Verse rates to increase

Comcast, AT&T U-Verse rates to increase

CHAMPAIGN — Area Comcast customers can expect a boost in their monthly bills beginning Jan. 18, and subscribers to some AT&T U-Verse services will see rates go up Feb. 1.

Comcast customers with expanded basic service (channels 2 to 69, plus additional three-digit channels) will see rates rise from $48.09 to $50.76 a month, an increase of 5.6 percent.

Those with Comcast's digital preferred package (channels 2 to 69, plus a much broader array of three-digit channels) will see rates jump from $76.90 to $81.90 a month, an increase of 6.5 percent.

Those with limited basic service (channels 2 to 22, plus a limited array of three-digit channels) will see rates surge from $11.86 to $13.19 a month, an increase of 11.2 percent.

The last time Comcast increased its rates was March 1, 2011 — less than 11 months ago. At that time, there was no increase in the price of limited basic service.

Jack Segal, Comcast's vice president of public relations in the greater Chicago region, said the cost of providing service has gone up.

In particular, "sports programming costs have been rising quickly, compared with other programming and content," he said.

Segal said Comcast has made "significant investments" in technology and new products and services, such as iPod, iPad and mobile applications. The company has also expanded the amount of on-demand content it is offering.

Segal said the new price increases won't affect those who signed on for special promotional offers — until those offers run out.

Rates will rise not only for Comcast video services, but also for bundles that include video, phone and Internet services.

For example, the Starter XF Triple Play Bundle will increase from $129.99 to $139.95 a month, an increase of 7.7 percent.

A full listing of Comcast rate and fee changes can be found at the city of Urbana's website.

Meanwhile, AT&T has notified the city of Champaign that the monthly price of some AT&T U-verse services will change.

The charge for U-basic service (local channels only) will remain unchanged at $19 a month.

But the charges for U-family (up to 130 channels) and U-100 (up to 210 channels) will rise $5 a month, to $59 and $64, respectively.

Among other changes:

— The charge for U-200 (up to 270 channels) will rise from $69 to $72.

— The rate for U-300 (up to 360 channels) will jump from $84 to $87.

— The price for U-450 (up to 430 channels) will go from $117 to $119.

Comments

PEguy wrote on January 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

The interest is up

And the Stock market's down

And ya only get mugged

If ya go down town.

gftst wrote on January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Very close to cancelling Comcast services competely, just cant afford it anymore. We have already downgraded to the lowest level for TV and Internet and the bill is still $50 a month and as the article says it will go up more now. Getting hammered from all sides.

choco640 wrote on January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I am sick of the cost of our cable/internet!  They are now blaming it on sports cost and other electronic devices.  There should be a way in which they should have packages that just contain 10, 20, 30 and so on channels in which it is it all ala carte and you can just pick the channels you want!   I don't want one sports channel but am forced to have multiple ones that are never watched in our house.  Perhaps if they could offer a sports package seperate from the other channels, the sports fanatics could pay the increased pricing to watch what they want!  It could be like paying extra for HBO or Showtime.  If it was all ala carte that would be best because people could then just pay for what they want to watch or have in their house.

Jen R wrote on January 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Internet-only service from Comcast is going up too, which presumably did not get more expensive due to the cost of sports coverage.

androidscr wrote on January 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Yipee another rape session from comcast.  Their service sucks, I have had issues with feedback through my cable since I have lived here the last 4 years.  It also causes a buzzing through the tv.  They claim it isn't them, but it's funny when I remove the cable line from my tv it goes away.  If I am using the set top box and remove the HDMI cable it stop.  It makes me wonder what kind of damage it could be doing to my equipment.  Also I get no HD quality, but if I connect straight to the cable picture quality improves 100%.  I wish I had another option, but I only have comcast and my job requires high speed internet .

jdmac44 wrote on January 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I've been without cable for a year and a half, I use digital over the air television with a roof antenna and I have all the entertainment I need, the picture is just as good as cable now.  If there's a game that isn't broadcast on one of my channels, I make it an opportunity to get out and go to a sports bar, with the money I save from not paying a cable bill, I can spend a few more dollars on a nice meal out.  With DTS broadcast TV, you get three PBS stations and that really fills the gap from not having the Discovery Channel and it's really better made and more educational.  If cable ever gives more choice for a smaller selection at a more reasonable price, I would consider going back, but otherwise, it's just way too expensive and really not enough on to justify it.  Oh and I also swictched to AT&T DSL internet, good internet speeds (in fact you can get them as good as cable) for about forty bucks a month, if you try to get cable internet by itself, they want to charge you seventy bucks!  They brag about crazy high speeds for cable, but your internet is only as fast as the server sending you the data on the other end from the website, so much more than 6 MBps isn't going to do you any good.  Use dslreports.com to check to see how close to the advertised speeds that you're really getting.

urbana1234 wrote on January 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I cut off cable telly over 2 years ago and went with internet only. My internet went up to $62.95 (was $59.95). I have my own modem to cut off the rental fee. I was told 'Economy' internet 1.5Mbps service was $41.95. Still mad expensive!

Live in east Urbana so no other choice right now, boo-urns.

Jen R wrote on January 10, 2012 at 6:01 pm

AT&T ran fiber in our neighborhood three and a half years ago and U-Verse still isn't available here. Not that I'd be likely to switch to them at this point anyway, if they can't get their act together any better than that.

lebloom wrote on January 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I think all Comcast subscribers should just cancel all at once.  Then what would they do?

dw wrote on January 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Vonage Basic phone service, Hulu plus, Netflix, Free Digtial OTA/TiVo for local stuff (3 channels of PBS rocks!) and Pirate Bay are all better quality and offer what I want, when I want it for far less than what Comcast's bundled services go for.

The irony?  With the exception of the OTA digital, they're all supplied by Comcast as the ISP.

Bring on the UC2B.net baby!

worldgoesroundincircles wrote on January 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This statement really gets under my skin:

"More than 50 percent of our customers are on promotional pricing, and the changes in prices don't affect them," he said."

What this clearly conveys is Comcast couldn't care less about the customers that have been with them over a long period of time. In other words if you're a loyal customer it = "we don't care about you!"

For me - it's time to move on. I will be shutting off my entire service tomorrow. A $150 dollars a month to watch TV and have the entry "economy" level broad band service is WAY to much money. Time to build my first HD antenna and buy a Tivo unit.

Comcast can complain all they want about the programming cost going up, but 2 substantial rate hikes in 8 or 9 months is nothing more than greed. The people who can afford this type of service is just getting screwed over.

STM wrote on January 11, 2012 at 6:01 am

Sounds like collusion.  I wonder at what point anti-trust regulations kick in. Oh yeah, never.