Critical test: A quiz about Roger Ebert
The 14th annual Roger Ebert's Film Festival starts Wednesday. How much do you know about the Urbana native? Take our quiz and find out. Then check out the answers.
News-Gazette School of Film Studies
Name: _______________________________ Date: __________________
1) What Chicago advice columnist played a small role in Roger Ebert meeting his future wife, Chaz?
2) Ebert, a deep reader, considered himself a humanist. Was he also a "dogist"? For extra points, what was his childhood dog named? Obscure hint for old-movie fans, "Boston ..."
3) You could walk all over Roger Ebert. Where?
4) Which of these newspapers did Roger Ebert NOT work for?
A. The Daily Illini
B. The Stanford Democrat-Republican
C. The News-Gazette
D. The Chicago Sun-Times
5) Ebert went on a dinner date with Oprah Winfrey to talk about TV syndication, as discussed in his autobiography, "Life Itself." Where did he take her?
6) Speaking of burgers, what Champaign Greek restaurant, now defunct, did Ebert make semi-annual pilgrimages to? Rhymes with "whiners."
7) What movie did Ebert hate so much it gave him the title of his 2000 book "I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie." Hint: Elijah Wood, Bruce Willis in a bunny suit.
8) What Internet company did Ebert make millions on? Hint: It can also be used as a verb.
9) Ebert had one produced screenplay in his lifetime, and it was ultra-campy. What was the title? For extra points, what 1960s band was featured in that movie? Time's almost up ...
10) In his popular TV show, Ebert was "the fat one" — weight he later took off. Who was "the thin one"?
11) What did young Roger's father do for a living at the University of Illinois? You can charge for it. For extra points, what advice did he give his son about work?
12) What actor and would-be cinematic genius did Ebert walk out on, creating a controversy? It was very galling. For extra points, what did he tell that director?
13) What did Ebert major in at the Urbana campus?