All my bags are (mentally) packed

All my bags are (mentally) packed

Thanks for those who have weighed in on phone providers and phones. I’d like to hear more. Please feel free to share your thoughts over the next couple of days about your experiences with a specific cell phone company and/or model of phone. I’m hoping to wrap this up next week.

The interesting thing to me is that between here and Facebook, the answers are basically the iPhone or Verizon. Any other thoughts about specific phones or companies? Add them to the discussion, please, and those of you coming to the C-U tweetup next week, be prepared for me to bug you about your phones.

Meantime, I’ve got a short trip coming up to visit family, and thinking about it makes me wonder if anyone else gets out a separate bag just to hold the gadgets.

I’m going to my brother’s house. It’s a four-hour drive. I’ve been there before. He provides excellent directions. I’ll be gone for 30 hours, tops.

My initial mental list of what I’ll pack:

• A GPS unit.
  • Two iPods (what if one stops working?).
  • One (or maybe two) laptops.
  • Two cameras. One still, one video. My siblings are pretty musical. I’ll want to capture some of our antics. (Maybe a digital point-and-shoot, too.)
  • An SD card reader.
  • Rechargeable batteries and a charger.
  • A portable speaker system for one of my iPods.
  • A little digital music player that has a microphone built in, because why not?
  • My phone.
  • Probably a couple of flash drives, just to be safe.

And the thought goes through my mind: Is this excessive? I’m driving, so I don’t have to worry about baggage claim (or the fees to check bags) and I can bring whatever I want. Generally, under those circumstances, my motto would be: better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

What devices do you have to have when you travel?

Photos:
Blog Photo

Comments

Meg Dickinson wrote on May 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Laptop and charger, phone and charger, iPod touch and charger, camera, batteries, card reader.

Thanks for helping me feel like I'm packing light with this list!

Mike Howie wrote on May 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I could trim my list. And I'll probably laugh at myself when I wind up not using either iPod or only using one camera. (And I just realized I'm going to need a tripod, too. Maybe one full-size and one tabletop. Hmmm.)

Tyler Jackson wrote on May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Laptop - built in card reader, and wireless mouse. Cigarette lighter-powered USB port - 2 outlets, one for the iPod, the other, for phone charging. Or GPS (unless you use a paper (gasp!) map).

Camera, iPod Touch (video/music playing), Nano (video recording/file storage), TENS unit. And that's the minimum, not including external drives or other doohickies that make everything else run like clockwork in the office.

Mike Howie wrote on May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

TENS unit?

Tyler Jackson wrote on May 28, 2010 at 11:05 am

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. Pain management. Can't tell if it legit works or not, but it seems to be working fine for me..have heard otherwise. I'll show you sometime, it's very interesting to watch.

Bill Howie wrote on May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Speaking as someone who is going to the same place (Mike being my brother and all) I pretty much don't leave home without my XM satellite radio receiver (nothing like being able to pick up a Cleveland Indians game from wherever I am), and for trips like this, the laptop goes along too. Also, since we'll have 3 kids in tow, we'll set up the portable DVD player in our minivan and perhaps attach the Playstation 2 to it. I would say all of these are on my "have to have: list.

Mike Howie wrote on May 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Cleveland Indians???? I suppose you're bringing your children up this way too? For shame, my brother. For shame.

Bill Howie wrote on May 27, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Hey, I am steeped in the fine tradition of cheering for the Chicago Cubs in my youth.........so I know what losing every year is like. Trust me, I'm used to it. As far as the kids go, it's reverse psychology - get them used to cheering for a losing team now, and maybe someday when they do win it will be a pleasant surprise!