Have your say

Have your say

Which side of the fence are you on: Mac or PC?

(Or Linux/other?)

And why?

Photos:
Blog Photo

Comments

yasmar62 wrote on June 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

PC - Mac not worth the extra $

Mike Howie wrote on June 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

In the newsroom, we have 21 Windows machines and 16 Macs. Three more Macs in the photo lab.
(And a laptop and a tablet PC on my desk that belong to me.)

spangwurfelt wrote on June 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

I've run all three - in fact, I've used all three (OS X, Windows 7, Red Hat Enterprise Linux) within the last 24 hours - and the Mac is just better. It costs more because it's worth more. If people had to tinker randomly with their cars as frequently as Windows makes them tinker randomly with their computers, there would be a lot more pedestrians.

Dave Barry once did a comic essay on computers, and he dealt with the Mac by saying "I'm not going to be writing about Macs, because you just plug them in and they work. There's nothing funny there."

William_D wrote on June 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

My wife has a Windows machine, I have a few Macs. Trust me, the Macs are worth every cent (comparatively that is). You couldn't give me another Windows machine. I still wish the Macs were cheaper.

jonashbrook wrote on June 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

I agree that for some people, the cost makes a big difference. However, for anyone who uses their computer for more than the Internet, complaining about the cost probably means they've never actually tried a Mac for more than 5 seconds. It adds years to your life in ease-of-use. It just works.

jbr wrote on June 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Linux for servers, Windows for most purposes (especially if you want to play games), and Mac if you have extra money to spend.

I don't understand what all this "tinkering" is that people complain about with Windows. I've been using it for many years and it "just works". I'd love to get a Mac some time for regular use, but I don't see what's so special about them.

dw wrote on June 14, 2010 at 12:06 am

If you like working on computers, install windows. If you like getting work DONE on a computer, get a Mac. If your time has no value, Linux is free.

Why? A lack of viruses and built-in automated backup (Time Machine) that's a snap to roll-back. Yes, you pay more but you suffer less. I've worked in IT for over 30 years... and fixing PC's and Linux boxes have kept me well-fed. Last thing I want to do when I come home is fix a computer because someone got suckered by the latest MalWare trojan.