Prediction for Illinois-Michigan State

Prediction for Illinois-Michigan State

MY PREDICTION

ILLINOIS 70          #10 MICHIGAN STATE 69

Why am I picking Illinois to win this game?  Because it doesn't make any sense.  It didn't make sense for Illinois to beat a top five team in Ohio State.  It doesn't make sense for Iowa to clobber Michigan and beat the Badgers at the Kohl Center.  It doesn't make sense for Nebraska to beat Indiana, regardless of where the game is played.  It doesn't make sense for Penn State to beat Purdue by 20, and it doesn't make sense for Northwestern to beat Michigan State by seven points.  Why has all of this stuff happened?  Because it's conference basketball and you never know what you're going to get.  If you want to try to figure out why Illinois has a chance, you can look at the last three road games for Michigan State.  They needed OT to beat Wisconsin, and then they lost to Northwestern and Michigan.  The road hasn't been easy for anyone, and that can lead to some crazy upsets.  Illinois winning this game is unlikely, but if they were able to click on all cylinders, we all know what they are capable of.

What do you guys think?  Can Illinois take out another top 10 team at home or am I crazy?  Let me know with your thoughts and predictions below.  Prediction standings will be updated after this game on Tuesday.  Have a good one.

I-L-L...

Illini 64

Michigan State 73

Illini_Fan_78 wrote on January 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm

MSU:  80

ILLINI 67

geriatricillini wrote on January 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

Well, Tom, I'm gonna be wacko also, go against the odds and pick us to win. I really feel at home we can do it....one would think after losing three in a row, including one at home, that should be enough embarrassment to fire up a dead mule let alone a college basketball team that is supposed to be a good one...this should be another watershed game for Meyers dealing with Draymond Green, 6-7, 230; Derrick Nix, 6-9, 270; and Adreian Payne, 6-10, 240....if he wants to prove he can be a pro this is as tough as it gets.. he passed the test with Jared and the kid from Gonzaga, so hopefully he will do so again tomorrow night but it ain't gonna be fun for him...Izzo will have a plan so he needs to be ready for anything...the banging should be a treat for all the pro scouts who I am sure will be watching this one with interest...cut down on the SILLY turnovers, get the ball inside a lot, shoot well. rebound a little better, play in your face defense, win the MATTO game and we have a shot at these guys...alot to ask I know, but it can be accomplished...that's enough yakking from me...

Spartans   63

Illini  66

Foo_G wrote on January 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

These are the types of games that we show up for. Everything will suddenly click for 32 minutes (with an 8-minute stretch coming out of halftime where we dog it and allow MSU back into the game) and we'll play the type of basketball that we're capable of. Even though I expect that this game should hinge largely on toughness categories (loose balls and rebounding), which have not been the strength of this team, I think we will do just enough at critical periods to allow hot shooting and beneficial officiating to carry us to a win, misleading the Weber faithful for a little longer.

ILLINI 72

Michigan State 67

penniless wrote on January 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

Close,very close,MSU speed on transition to much.Illini 3s are falling in.MSU loves the paint alot more than Illini.MSU  69  Illini  68

JoeK82 wrote on January 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

ILLINI 68

MSU 65

smills89 wrote on January 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

illinois 68

MSU 66

mvillini wrote on January 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

Would love to see the illini do-in  the Spartans, but just don't think they have it in them. Izzo's men 73, Webers boys 63. Hope I'm wrong. Go Illini !!

mbelcher wrote on January 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Illinois  68

Michigan St  65

uofiisu wrote on January 30, 2012 at 11:01 am

Illinois 72

Michigan St 70

Bwp 5P wrote on January 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Illini 68

Spartans 65

wincer_85 wrote on January 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I think the way the conference has shaped up so far and where this game lies in the schedule is a big advantage to illinois. Michigan State is tough. BUT, Illinois is a desperate team right now looking to stop a 3-game losing streak, coming home and playing a top 10 team on national television with (what should be) a fired up crowd wearing all blue. Throw in the fact that Michigan State is coming off a decent win against Minnesota and also have a rivalry game with Big Ten Championship implications coming up on Saturday, you have the making for big upset in Champaign.

This game won't be easy by any means. A lot of people are down on this team (and coaching staff) but if we could've made just a handful more plays in the last 3 games COMBINED, we're sitting atop the B1G conference by ourselves. It's not like we have gotten blown out in the last 3 games. I think Meyers' size (length) will effect MSU's big men like it did against Sully. Can't let Appling get hot/penetrate. Look out for Brandon Dawson. That kid is good now and might be the best player in the big 10 next year. Michigan State: 69  Illinois: 74. Also, if we get this win it shapes up to be a very good week with Northwestern coming to Champaign next weekend. Could be a very big 2-win week for us. Let's do it!

walker wrote on January 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

It's hard to fathom us losing 4 in a row.  I say the skid ends in a big way tomorrow night in the Hall

ILL  68  MSU 60

dealmaker21 wrote on January 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

MSU  64

Illini 56

Offense continues to be sluggish.  Still can't get all 5 guys on the floor to play with energy.  Still too much standing around.  Offense design makes reboudning difficult against a tough rebounding team.  DJ looking like he may be hitting the wall again.

bubba2hype wrote on January 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Michigan State 72 Illinois 64

butkus50 wrote on January 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

MSU                      73

Illini                       59

MSU up tempo style and superior rebounding and Illini's lack of offense spell doom in the hall unless someone scores 43.

Reillini wrote on January 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I N I

MSU-71

Illini-61

I've been exactly wrong on the last 4 games, so I'll try this I'm going to pick them to lose even though I think they will win this game for the same reasons Tom does....Lets see how this works.

I'll be there , they rarely lose when I attend

As always Go Illini

river wrote on January 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Illinois    62

MSU      59

Eric 22 wrote on January 31, 2012 at 6:01 am

I need a win as bad as the Illini, unfortunately only one of us will.....Ill-63  MSU-69

rtrott wrote on January 31, 2012 at 8:01 am

Michigan State 68-Illinois 64

aaeismacgychel wrote on January 31, 2012 at 8:01 am

Unlike the Penn St. and Minnesota games, I am cautiously optimistic about this one.  Illinois on a thre game losing streak, backs to the wall, and they should hopefully get some support from the home crowd with MSU coming to the Hall.  It'll be important for Illinois to start off well as that will keep the fans from turning on them, and I think this is one of those games Leonard might show up for and dominate.  Illinois desperately needs to make open threes at a better than 20% clip, which is just about how it seems to have gone the past few games and even more importantly, we have to guard the three a heck of a lot better than we have in our past three losses.  I know we like analyzing games to the most minute detail, but it seems that for the past few games whenever the opponent gets an open three, they ice it and whenever we get an open three we clank it.  In the last two games for sure that has been the case:

3-pt shooting:
Illinois: 7-22 21 points on 32% shooting (0.95 pts per shot)
Penn St.: 4-10 12 points on 40% shooting (1.20 pts per shot)

Illinois: 3-12 9 points on 25% shooting (0.75 pts per shot)
Wisconsin: 9-22 27 points on 41% shooting (1.23 pts per shot)

Illinois: 3-21 9 points on 14% shooting (0.43 pts per shot)
Minnesota: 6-18 18 points on 33% shooting (1.00 pts per shot)

When you think about it, perhaps this game really is a lot easier than we make it.  If you make your 3pt shots, you win.  If you don't, you lose.  Tonight I think we make them.

Illinois: 76