IU Thoughts, Standings, & OSU Predictions

IU Thoughts, Standings, & OSU Predictions

Blog PhotoThe beauty of writing a blog instead of being a beat writer is that I can write as much or as little as I want.  And this time, it’s the latter.  I’m still watching the games intently (although I will say I underestimated the high scoring and lack of defense in my pick), and I’m still putting effort into these blogs.  But it’s not fun to make the same points over and over.  Playing well for three quarters and getting career games from Nathan Scheelhaase and Steve Hull are great, and I tip my cap to those two.  But the numbers mean nothing if the “L” flag is flying at the end of the day.  Perhaps it’s time to throw out the playbook and start from scratch (e.g. let Bailey pass more).  I dunno.  At a bare minimum this team needs to tread water and not regress in its final three games.

Nothing stood out from Coach Beckman’s postgame radio interview this week, so here’s the whole thing.

To the standings…

Blog PhotoFor the first time in my tenure running this blog, we have a PERFECT PICK!!!  Ddub923 got the score exactly right.  Major kudos goes your way.  I’ll check with the higher ups to see if we can get you a small prize for this.  Elsewhere, mbelcher gets kudos as well for nailing the margin of victory.  And on the other side of the coin, cretis may have logged the highest RSDT in the history of the blog.  But I know why you picked the way you did, so I’m not criticizing by any means.  Overall this game, there were 28 picks split right down the middle between UI and IU.  And just for fun, walker threw in a basketball pick and had a RSDT of 4.

Overall, we had a few people drop out of the lead pack by way of their Illinois pick.  The six top dogs are now all 8-1, with DarrenAlman maintaining his slim lead.

Now time to batten down the hatches for the scarlet and grey…

Blog PhotoI’m not going to waste time here telling you what the numbers already state.  The Buckeyes are an elite class with no signs of slowing down as long as Urban Meyer is in charge.  Tattoo-gate and Jim Tressel’s resignation (sorry Buckeye fans…couldn’t resist posting that photo over there) now seem like just a blip on the radar.  Even though the rivalry has been a bit one-sided, most of the time the games are very entertaining with great crowds.  The 2002 overtime thriller and 2007 upset of number one come to mind.  In fact that ’07 game was the loudest environment I’ve ever been in – sporting event or otherwise.  So this upcoming game will be fun to watch…if you just put your blinders on and ignore the scoreboard.

My prediction:  Ohio State 56, Illinois 10

Other nuggets…

• I want to give a quick shout out to my colleague on the DWS football postgame show Martin O’Donnell.  The postgame show often gets a bad rap for being nothing more that callers complaining.  But Martin’s fantastic game analysis is often overlooked.  Among former UI football players currently in broadcasting, I can’t think of anyone better than Martin.
  • Since no one ventured a guess at one part the trivia question I posed in a comment on last week’s blog, here’s the answer.  The most points in a game involving one Big Ten team is 146 in a game between Minnesota and Grinnell in 1904.  Believe it or not, that was a Gopher shutout.  In that 1904 season, in which Minny claims a mythical national title, the Gophers went 13-0 and outscored opponents 725-12, including the aforementioned Grinnell game and a 107-0 shellacking of Twin Cities Central High School.  So there’s your history lesson for the day.
  • Want to take a moment of personal privilege to congratulate my alma mater, Tri-Valley, for remaining undefeated and advancing to the third round of the IHSA playoffs…both firsts for the program.  For a small school who broke away from a successful co-op many years ago, it’s been a long uphill battle to get to where the team is now.  I have a bit of a vested interest in the team since I was their play-by-play man back in the day.

-Tim

Coming up next time:  OSU thoughts, standings, and Purdue predictions

Comments

IlliniHimey wrote on November 09, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Really?  You are praising Martin, the same guy that holds firm to the belief that Tim Beckman is the best guy to take Illinois into the future.  Martin is part of the football brotherhood, so of course, he would not say hitS with a mouthful.  At least Kurt Kittner was flaming away during the game today.  That was refreshing to hear.

brownie832 wrote on November 10, 2013 at 1:11 am

Get right to it, a coaching change is needed. Start with D-coord. and work your way to the top, if it doesn't start to turn around.

OSU-44

ILLINI-20

Don't know if it will really be that close.

brownie832 wrote on November 10, 2013 at 1:11 am

2011 We beat IU by 21, at IU.  Two years later, we lost by 17 ,going away!  So have we improved?  Backslid to a tone of minus 38 points in two seasons, TO IU!!!!!  Really?  I love Illini sports but we are in HORRIBLE shape now.  Defense completely lost and out of position, on almost every play.  That is terrible coaching.  Look back at 2011- lost to WIsky ranked 15th-lost by 11

OSU-lost by 10

#19 Penn St.- lost by three- at PSU, while they were chucking snowballs at our kicker, while he was attempting to tie the game!

This year- Unranked PSU- lost in overtime and they have lost more than we have in terms of players/playmakers

wisky- ranked 25th- lost by 24

Think we can stay within 10 of OSU this year?

We have not improved, we have gone backwards miserably.  PERIOD.

Railsplitter wrote on November 10, 2013 at 6:11 am

Since I think OSU and ILLINI head coaches ar friends , I don't think it will be a complete rout .....OSU .59.......Other team...13

Dan Bloeme wrote on November 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm

OSU 70

Illini  30

Illinois has no chance against Buckeyes. Don't anyone bring up Zook/Juice's upset of Bucknuts back in 2007. Illini at least had something resembling a defense back then and more offensive weapons. Currently we are watching the worst Illini Big Ten team ever in Illinois' history the past 3 years with school record 19 game B1G losing streak soon to become 20 straight. Another bowl-less season. Thanks to the totally inept Beckman the Clown and Defenseless Tim Banks.

illiniearl wrote on November 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

For some reason, when I look into my crystal ball for this game, I see the mark of the beast!    The Devil is in the details:      Buckaroos:  66   Illini:  6      Go Illini!

BleedOandB wrote on November 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Ill17

osu 40

walker wrote on November 11, 2013 at 8:11 am

The Buckeyes always seem to bring out the best in us...  OSU 63  ILL  23

mvillini wrote on November 11, 2013 at 11:11 am

I have been watching Illini football since 1939, and a season ticket holder since 1949. Overall, this is probably the worst defensive football team Illinois has ever fielded.  Appreciate the efforts of the offense, and their coaches but the efforts of Banks and his head coach are abysmal, well below the standards of Big 10 football. Both Banks and Beckman should be relieved of their respective duties. Next year would'nt be too soon. Coach Meyer will probably choose to not rub it in too bad.. Ohio State prevails 49 -17. Sorry coach -- GO ILLINI !!

tonyjb37 wrote on November 11, 2013 at 11:11 am

MEN OF THE OHIO STATE    63           little boys of illinois    14

touchdown_illinois wrote on November 11, 2013 at 12:11 pm

OSU 56 Illini 17

Gill52 wrote on November 11, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Will this be worth watching?

OSU  68        Illini 14

conner34 wrote on November 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm

After what happened with Neb, wisky, MSU, PSU and now IU all having career type rushing days OSU might have 2, or God forbid 3, 200 yd rushers against us.

Illini 10

OSU 63

I think Meyer will take it easy on Beckman, and pull the starters after he gets 5 or 6 TD's ahead, but I don't think our defense can stop their 3rd string so they still score 8 or 9 TD's in all.

ehsfan wrote on November 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Ohio State 58

Illinois 14

buckhunter2 wrote on November 13, 2013 at 7:11 am

OSU   63

ILL      13

burkejo wrote on November 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

It's going to be UGLY. Urban is running up the score against much better teams than ours and I expect that to get worse.

OhowIhateOhioState 59

Illini 7 (on a V'Angelo breakaway return)

DarrenAlman wrote on November 14, 2013 at 7:11 pm