Finding inspiration

Blog PhotoMaking dinner every night can be a huge chore especially when you find yourself in a rut of the same tired menus each week.  Many friends have told me that they just need some inspiration to try something different.  I found that taking the risk on new recipes is fun and the best way to expand your tastes and skill.

So, where to find inspiration?
  • Subscribe to a food magazine that appeals to your tastes.
  • Check out the Wednesday and Sunday recipes in the newspaper.
  • Subscribe to online recipe listserves such as allrecipes.com or Cuisine at Home e-recipes.
  • Pull a cookbook off your shelf and look for something new to try.
  • Actually try one of the recipes that you pinned on Pinterest.

Last night I made a nice summer salad that was featured in the allrecipes.com daily digest email called "Amy's Sensational Summer Salad".  I only needed to pick up a few items from the store and grilled extra marinated chicken breasts for another meal. It is definitely a keeper.

Comments

rsp wrote on July 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

They also have a calculator on the site to check your own recipes and they have an app for apple products. Lots of recipes by type. Even some by restaurant.

Jeannette Beck wrote on July 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

New to me!  Thank you, rsp, I'll go check it out.

Jeannette Beck wrote on July 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Not sure how I could have missed 'the world's largest healthy recipe website' until now!  On first pass it looks sort of like a free version of Weight Watchers.

Which recipes did you find here that you liked?

rsp wrote on July 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I love this recipe but of course I don't follow it.

I cook in bulk so when I cook chicken I set so aside for it. Then for the fruit I just use a whole apple, and some handfulls of the grapes and dries cranberries. It's probably closer to a 1/2 cup. We all need more fruit, right. And the yogurt I just use the whole container because the dried fruit will absorb some of the moisture. And I switched to the lactose free one and I also use the vanilla flavored one, even worked in stroganoff believe it or not. I skip the salt and pepper because most of the time there's too much salt and I like a lot of curry. We put this on the thin buns and wrap them up so we can just grab one anytime. I wish I had one now.

Jeannette Beck wrote on July 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

That sounds good, and I like your alterations.  Haven't made any chicken salad in a while, and also like to add fruit and nuts to it.  Yogurt is a nice lower fat option to mayo, but it does taste different - more tangy to me.

When I try a recipe for the first time, I generally follow it closely and then modify it to suit our tastes... making notes about more or less of ingredients on the recipe.  Now with recipes on the web, that's not so easy to do!

rsp wrote on July 20, 2012 at 1:07 am

That's one of the good things about computers. I save new recipes to a folder, and when I try them I print them out. That way I can take it to the store and write on it if I want to change anything. Some things I just know I don't like or I know an easier way so I'll make those changes. Or if it's not a professional writer the steps may take too long or show their inexperience. So after we try it if it's a keeper I'll modify the recipe on the computer to reflect any notes, ideas to try, etc. If it was just not worth the effort I delete it. I've found muffin recipes and now have two columns, one dozen and two. When they were hand written I ended up not being able to read them. Now I can always find them.