My own tried and true recipe

My own tried and true recipe

The News-Gazette wants you! Or at least, we want you to submit a recipe for your favorite, tried-and-true recipe that keeps your family wanting more, or your church community suggesting potlucks or you just like to make. We run them in our Wednesday Food pages.

I'd love it if you'd e-mail me yours or even better, post it in the comments of this blog so others can see them. (Of course, to run it in the newspaper, I'll need your full name, city of residence and a photo, but you can e-mail those to me rather than posting them here.)

I made oven-fried fish last night, and it's so easy and delicious that I'd thought I'd share. It's in the "All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book." I got it for Christmas and have so far loved every recipe I've tried from it.

Oven-Fried Fish

Here's a reduced-fat way to get crispy fish without lots of oil. To keep the fat profile low, serve with tartar sauce made with lowfat mayonnaise or simply sprinkle the fish with malt vinegar. For fish and chips, serve with crisp oven fries and malt vinegar.

Prep: 10 minutes

Bake: 12 minutes

2 teaspoons vegetable oil (I used canola and it was fine)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour; again, totally fine)

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) (I used a 1/2 teaspoon for a little more flavor)

1/2 teaspoon garlic granules (my own addition to this recipe)

2 large egg whites

1 cup plain dried bread crumbs

1 pound flounder or sole fillets, cut on diagonal into 1-inch-wide strips (I used salmon. Delicious.)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease cookie sheet with oil.

On waxed paper, combine flour, salt, ground red pepper and garlic granules. In shallow bowl, beat egg whites until just foamy. On separate sheet of waxed paper, place bread crumbs. Coat fish strips with seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Dip into egg white then coat in bread crumbs, patting crumbs to cover. (Your hands will get goopy!) Arrange fish strips on prepared cookie sheet.

Place cookie sheet on lowest oven rack and bake fish six minutes. With wide spatula, turn fish. Bake until just opaque throughout and golden, about six minutes longer. Makes four main-dish servings.

Obviously, I've made a few substitutions, but they haven't hurt the recipe. It's like making fish sticks without all the processed junk. They actually crunch when you bite into them.

I've made this recipe with baked sweet potato fries, as they're healthier and tastier (in my opinion) than regular potatoes. I put each sweet potato in the microwave for about three minutes after washing, to soften them up so baking doesn't take forever. I cut them into fry-like wedges and toss them with canola oil and salt. I tried adding cinnamon and sugar to one tray last night, too, and they turned out OK. You can bake them at 450 degrees for half an hour to 45 minutes, depending on how crispy you want them.

So now it's your turn. What recipe do you swear by?

Photo: from Amazon.com

Photos:
Blog Photo

Comments

Fight the Fat Foodie wrote on March 05, 2010 at 10:03 am

Great looking recipe! Canola oil is actually healthier than vegetable oil, so that's a good substitution. You might also want to try Panko Japanese bread crumbs, they tend to be a little larger and much crunchier than traditional ones for those times you're trying to get that fried crunch with a baked dish.

Here's one of my favorite fish recipes, Chipotle Slaw Fish Tacos: http://fightthefatfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/03/chipotle-slaw-fish-tacos.html

Meg Dickinson wrote on March 05, 2010 at 10:03 am

Thanks for the link - and you're right about the canola oil. I don't even buy vegetable oil. I would've used olive oil, but I figured it played such a minor role in the recipe that it didn't much matter.
Thanks for the suggestion about the Panko crumbs. Do you know if they come in a whole-wheat version? Last night while I was making this, I told myself I needed to find some whole-wheat bread crumbs. I think it would make this recipe totally guilt-free.

elippitz wrote on March 05, 2010 at 11:03 am

This looks awesome! We love salmon but only have one recipe we found that we like and use over and over. I think we can safely add this to our fish rotation. Can't wait to try it.

Meg Dickinson wrote on March 05, 2010 at 11:03 am

Glad to hear it - I like it because it seems like junk food, but really isn't. What's your fave salmon recipe?

dw wrote on March 05, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Killer (and pretty easy) Guacamole:

Tools: A SlapChop and a molcajete make it much easier/faster to prep (a molcajete/tejolote is a mexican/Nahuatl mortar & pestal made out of basalt). A bit of the old world meets new world gadgetry. The Mocajete goes straight from the prep area to the table (great display/dip bowl).

* Grab a packet of Simply Organic Guacamole Dip
* follow the basic directions on back, putting in the two extras (garden fresh tomatoes, sour cream)
* when picking your avocados, pick a combination of one or two soft and a firmer one (not one that is so unripe it 'bounces'). I usually buy 3 or 4, and the organic ones tend to be softer/more ripe.
* Exaggerate the dry spices on the back with fresh/your own:
onion ( I use both green/scallions & red)
sea salt
red pepper (I use chili pepper flakes)
organic garlic
black pepper
*** garlic -- the preminced works just fine
*** cilantro. Must be fresh! Entire bunch, except the stems
*** citric acid (aka, "Lime Juice") AND zest!
*** if you can find it, smoked chipotle pepper. County Market used to have it :-( It only takes a little bit!
* if you can't, then jalapenos will do...

These last ***'d items are the 'secret ingredients that will give it the flair... I am a dedicated fresh tomato hater (ketchup is the food of the gods though), but it really works in this dip. Vine ripened/organic are best.

* Microwave the lime for 10-20 seconds to get the juices flowing. If you've got a molcajete, get your lime zest by rubbing it all around the inner surface and outside edges of the molcajete before you put anything else in. If you LOVE lime, get out the microplane/grater and put MORE in.
* grind up your hardest dry ingredients first (chipotle, peppercorns dried chili flakes, sea salt)
* half the lime, put juice it into into the molcajete
* kick in a bit of your favorite oil to keep dust down/aid mixing.
* throw in a spoonful of minced garlic (or a couple of cloves of fresh). Grind it all up.

Wash and cut the stems off the fresh cilantro. Dice up the leaves to medium with a big knife/Slap Chop, then into the molcajete with the other stuff and grind away til it's reduced to a green paste (yum!)

Prep and coarse cut the avocados, then into the molcajete they go, grind away...
Rough cut your red & green onions, and your tomatoes. Fine cut the fresh jalapenos, removing the seeds to reduce the heat. Fold these rough cut items into the mix (you don't want to grind them -- they give good color/texture) in the molcajete along with the spice packet and sour cream.

Garnish with either leftover sprigs of cilantro, or with round-circular cut red and green jalapenos -- like on the spice package. This is especially good if you're having guests over and you wish to distinguish between the spicy batch and the wimpy one.

Let it rest in the fridge or just plow right in! The longer it sits/rests, the spicier it will become if you added jalapenos/chipotle's

Guac doesn't keep well for very long. The top will brown when exposed to air (you can mix that in later). You can do a couple of tricks to extend it, but... one trick is completely cover the top surface with a layer of sour cream and then cover that with saran wrap, working it down so it's in as much contact with the top of the sour cream/guac as possible. I've also tried the whole "leave the pit in and it won't brown" didn't work, and seems bogus (no scientific explanation, whereas the "contact with air" theory makes sense).

So if you've put all the fresh ingredients listed on the back of the spice packet, what's the spice packet good for? It makes a very quick and delicious guac all by itself when you're in a pinch for time and don't feel like doing all the chopin. If you're making a bigger batch than what the spice packet calls for, the fresh and dried spices complement each other.

Meg Dickinson wrote on March 05, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Looks amazing! May we run this in the paper? If so, will you e-mail me your real name, city of residence and a photo that shows your face?

webmaster.netbuild wrote on May 16, 2010 at 11:05 am