What are you reading?

What are you reading?

One of my favorite questions to ask people I'm getting to know – what are you reading now, or what have you read lately that you can't put down?

Right now, I'm reading “The Richest Girl in the World: The Extravagant Life and Fast Times of Doris Duke.”

It's good and full of interesting information about the “rich-rich” and heirs to the robber-baron tycoons, but it's not exactly can't-put-it-down material.

The last book like that I read – in two or three sittings – was “Healing Hearts: A Memoir of a Female Heart Surgeon”

I'm squeamish, but it didn't stop me from practically inhaling the story of a woman who talked about her career and gave me some much-needed perspective about how heart disease. Before reading this book, I never realized that women are six times as likely to die of heart disease than of breast cancer and heart disease kills more women over 65 than do all cancers combined, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Did you know that jaw pain can be a sign of a heart attack? Me either, until I read this book.

Now it's your turn – what are you reading, or what's the last thing you couldn't put down?

Photo is from amazon.com, of course.

Photos:
Blog Photo

Comments

Mike Howie wrote on March 08, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Clockers by Richard Price. It came out in the mid-90s and I am finally getting around to reading it. Some magazine excerpted it back when it came out and I have meant to read it ever since. Happened to find a copy at a library sale a few weeks ago. It's so good that I limit myself to a few pages a day.

Meg Dickinson wrote on March 09, 2010 at 10:03 am

Oooh sounds good. I'll have to check it out. What's it about?

Mike Howie wrote on March 09, 2010 at 10:03 pm

It's about drug dealers and police and the other inhabitants of the world of "clockers," the low-level kids who sell crack on streets just across the river from New York. But it's an awfully good study of lives in various stages of desperation.

Meg Dickinson wrote on March 10, 2010 at 11:03 am

Sounds like more your kind of book than mine. But I will try it ... I checked out a Sophie Kinsella book at the library last night and have already abandoned it because her main characters are women my age who are totally irresponsible, especially when it comes to their love lives and finances. They make me crazy! I couldn't even watch the movie based on her "Shopaholic" series. She gives women my age a bad rap.

Mike Howie wrote on March 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm

It's liberating to realize you can abandon a bad book, isn't it?

Fight the Fat Foodie wrote on March 09, 2010 at 12:03 pm

The Cooks Book, part technique how-to, part encyclopedia of ingredients and different types of cuisine, part recipes.

You can read a little or a lot, jump around to different things you're interested in (reading about making pasta from scratch at the moment) or just keep on hand as a reference book. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to improve their skills.

Meg Dickinson wrote on March 10, 2010 at 11:03 am

Sounds really good - I'm always looking to expand my know-how in the kitchen. Great suggestion!

amhart wrote on March 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm

The last book I couldn't put down was The Girl Who Ate Kalamazoo by Darrin Doyle. It tells the story of a woman who literally ate the entire city of Kalamazoo, MI building by building.