Ruffled apron project not too difficult

Ruffled apron project not too difficult

 My sister recently got curtains for her kitchen featuring a cute, kitschy print of frilly aprons.

I've been wanting to try making a ruffled apron for some time, but hadn't done anything about it until yesterday evening. Making her one for her kitchen seemed like a good reason to try it.

 

To get started, I googled something like “homemade apron instructions” and rolled my eyes as other bloggers proclaimed how easy apron construction was.

 

But once I gathered my materials – a red fabric, ruffly trim and wide satin ribbon for a tie – putting the apron together actually wasn't too difficult. If you don't sew and have fabric glue on hand, you could probably use that to make this apron.

 

Another plus – I made it completely out of materials I'd stashed away for some future project. That made me feel good, actually, because I worry that my “future project” rationale could someday turn into craft supply hoarding. You know, suddenly I'm not able to step into my extra bedroom because of all the fabrics, ribbons, laces and other notions filling it up. Luckily, it's not that bad yet, and I used all of this particular trim and ribbon.

 

I started by pulling out another apron I own and laying it directly over the red fabric. A more precise sewer would've traced its shape onto craft or tissue paper to make a pattern, or at least pinned the two fabrics together. I just did my best to make sure both layers were flat, and snipped away.

 

I did, however, pin the ruffly trim to the edges of the apron. (It's really cute, with tiny pigs on it. I think I got it at a garage sale.) I didn't have enough to go around the whole apron, so I put it across the top and around the more square edges of the bottom.

 

The trim's border was pretty thin, so I tried to sew carefully with smaller stitches. (I hope the recipient doesn't look too carefully, though, because my seams aren't exactly straight.) I sewed it directly to the top of the red fabric so I didn't have any rough edges.

 

Then, once I attached the trim, I turned under the rough edges of the diagonal armpit areas by about half an inch and hemmed them. I got the sneaking suspicion I should have done this before adding the trim, but it didn't seem to matter much.

 

Then, I stitched the polka-dot satin ribbon to one corner of the top, looped it around my own neck to see how long it needed to be, and pinned and stitched the other side accordingly. I then cut the remaining ribbon (it was just enough) in half and attached the pieces to where the diagonal armpit area met the more square bottom on each side for a tie in the back.

 

Sometime between making the neck loop and hemming the side, I created a sewing snafu that looked awful near the top left corner of the apron. I fixed this by using a small cardboard circle, scrap of fabric, leftover ruffled trim, a button and a hot glue gun to make a fabric flower. I glued the flower right over the mistake, and you can no longer see it.

 

And – that's that. It turned out really cute, although I told my sister that she probably should use it carefully, as it may fall apart. It took me about two hours, although it probably would've gone faster if I was a more experienced seamstress.

 

Photo – the apron near the fabric printed with curtains. It matches pretty well.

Photos:
Blog Photo

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

algon wrote on August 18, 2010 at 8:08 am

This is the kind of apron that may inspire actual cooking. Great job!