Recipe for apple peanut butter cookies

I needed a quick dessert recipe for a dish to take to a bonfire last weekend.
I found this recipe for Apple Peanut Butter Cookies in a magazine I brought home from our most recent Taste of Home Cooking School.
The recipe was pretty simple, and the cookies were soft and chewy.

Apple Peanut Butter Cookies
½ cup shortening

½ cup chunky peanut butter

½ cup sugar

½ cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

11/2 cups all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ cup grated apple

In large bown, cream shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in apple.

Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees or until golden brown. Cool for five minutes before removing to wire racks. Makes about 30 cookies.

They're not too peanut-buttery, and the cinnamon and apple is just enough to make them taste like they were meant for autumn.

Photo is from Taste of Home.

Comments

greerwilliams wrote on October 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

I got an oatmeal caramel apple cookie from Aroma the other week. It was delicious! It tasted like they used dried apples though.

I will have to try making these.

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 27, 2010 at 9:10 am

Let me know if you like them. This recipe is definitely a keeper for me.

DenaS wrote on October 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Those sound really tasty! My mom has a fall "no-bake" cookie recipe for apple balls involving diced-up apples, cinnamon sugar, and I'm not sure what-all for the binder. I'll have to give her a ping and see how they go. :)

(Also, I like the new profile picture! The puppy's obviously so happy to be getting snuggles. :D)

News-Gazette Features wrote on October 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Thanks - wish he was my dog, but alas, he was just borrowed for the photo. If your mom is willing to share her recipe, let me know. I'd love to post it!

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Whoops - this reply was from me, but I was signed in under a different account.

DenaS wrote on November 01, 2010 at 11:11 am

I haven't forgotten! (Mom kinda did, though - whoops!) I've asked her again and I'll send her recipes along whenever she gets them to me. Two of Mom's I think you'd like are the no-bake apple-cinnamon balls and the no-bake eclair cake (which tastes quite a lot like the fussier version of eclairs but is really easy and doesn't even involve oven time).

I just remembered I forgot to send you the squash bread pudding recipe too, and I'm contemplating coming up with a bread pudding variation on tiramisu (because I have bread and yogurt around the house a lot more often than ladyfingers and mascarpone!) :D