A list of dream antiques: if I ever find these things, I'm buying them

Two of the things I've always loved about Rob is that he understands my love for old houses and has many handy skills useful for maintenance. (In fact, he fixed the toilet in my first post-college apartment on our first date. What a guy!) He also loves to browse through antique shops.

He looks for old pocket knives (I had trouble with that collection when he and it moved in, but now the knives are displayed in a special case and look sort of cool) while I look for retro-ish kitchen accessories and anything that's red.

When we antique, we don't generally spend a ton of money. Similarly, there's not much need for us to buy furniture, because our house is so small.

However, Rob and I do have an “if we ever see this item, we're buying it” list. These are the things we figure we'll make room for in our home and budget, if need be.

They include:

• Card catalogs. PACA had some for a while, a few years ago. I don't know where my head was, because I should've jumped on that.
  • Old lockers. I'm a sucker for these. You can buy new ones like this, but I like the allure of searching for old ones. I also think they have emore character. I would relish the challenge of figuring out how to use them in our home.
  • And (this one's a stretch) if we win a million bucks anytime soon, we'd love to buy the Solon House and fix it up. Not holding my breath on that one, though, seeing that we don't play the lottery. Seriously, it would be a wonderful work in progress, don't you think?

What about you - do you have a list like this? What's on it?

Photo from this Flickr page.

Comments

algon wrote on February 17, 2011 at 9:02 am

I know someone who might give you some lockers from the old Loda Grade School, if you ask verrrrrry nicely.

Meg Dickinson wrote on February 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

Yes, but doesn't he love those lockers? I want to spread around the locker love, not take them away from someone else. A comment on my post on Facebook suggests that I might be able to find some in an antique shop in Decatur. Road trip!

AnnaA wrote on June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I know I'm way late to the game but I absolutely share your obsession for card catalogs. Oh man, how they fill my furniture-fantasies. They'd be great for my craft/knitting/sewing storage. Also, someday I want floor to ceiling shelving and a rolling ladder. (I'm a library-ophile, what can I say?) I found a tutorial on how to DIY the ladder, and I even have an antique ladder we could use for it, but I don't think we'll be able to work it into our current house, even with our 16-ft ceilings. It's kind of depressing.

I think I've seen lockers as outdoor tool shed-y things; that might be an option if you ever find any and have some yard space. :)

Meg Dickinson wrote on June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

No worries - I get an email when someone comments on any post. Hey, maybe I should make a ladder for my super tall cabinets or future kitchen shelves. Probably wouldn't work but is fun to think about. What are you doing with your ladder for now, while you wait for it for the perfect space for a Gatsby-esque library to present itself?

AnnaA wrote on June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

It's a 25-ft extension ladder we scored on craigslist; four feet of it will be turned into this pot rack (http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Home/Crafts/Pot-Rack-Ladder-Craft.html) this weekend, and the other 21 feet will be, um, naturally distressing leaned up against the fence in the back yard, until we can find something else to do with it.

Meg Dickinson wrote on June 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm

So many cool projects involve old ladders. That's awesome!