Hosting my first birthday party as a married gal
I'm hosting Rob's family tomorrow evening to celebrate his birthday, which is today. (Can't resist: happy birthday, Rob!)
I'm sure it will go well, but I'm just the teensiest bit nervous that something might go really, really wrong.
On the menu: (Note - if these recipes turn out OK, I'll share them with you next week.)
- Cuban Mojo Chicken (the marinade calls for orange and lime juices and a variety of spices)
- Nutty Spinach Salad (spinach, Granny Smith apples, nuts, golden raisins and a homemade vinaigrette)
- grilled corn on the cob brushed with chive butter
- baked beans in the slow cooker (no hot dogs this time)
- Some sort of (hopefully delicious) yeasty rolls
- Strawberry-lemon-tea slushie drinks (they have cute name, but it eludes me at the moment)
Rob's mom is bringing her famous Angel Food Waldorf cake, at his request.
I've already started prepping by mixing up the salad dressing and marinade, the chive butter and steeping the tea for the drinks. I feel prepared, but a little like this could turn into a first-big-dinner-I-hosted horror story. Know what I mean? Any advice for remaining calm and throwing a stellar dinner/birthday party?
Photo is from the Dine in My Backyard story I did last summer, by N-G Photo Editor Darrell Hoemann. It was one of the best dinner parties I've been to.