Where did you ride out last night's storm?

Where did you ride out last night's storm?

OK, so I have to ask – if you're local, where did you ride out last night's tornado sirens?

I have a funny story about this: Rob and I have been looking for ways to save money this summer.

After carefully researching through our coupon columnist, Sarah Holmes, and Misty Appleby, the blogger I wrote about for our Stretching Your Dollars series, I finally decided to try using some coupons.

My mom always used coupons when I was growing up, but I've always preferred to shop at the off-brand store that boasts good prices. But last night, I finally decided to take a few coupons to a grocery store on North Prospect Avenue.

I did tons of research. I scoured the ad and blogs about deals. I tried to make sure the products I was buying wouldn't be more expensive than generics I'd purchase otherwise, and that we'd actually use them.

I was doing OK while shopping. I took my time, comparing the labels to the fine print on the coupons and generally trying to be a practical shopper. I could hear lots of rain pounding the roof.

Then my phone rang, and Rob asked if I could hear the tornado siren. I couldn't, but someone came over the loudspeaker and asked customers to head to the back of the store.

We walked through the stockroom to the breakroom – it was kind of a cool, behind-the-scenes look – and hung out. We eventually did hear the faintest sirens, which was really eerie.

I'll admit, I was pretty scared, especially after hearing about all the horror stories from Joplin, Mo., and other areas pounded by tornadoes this year.

The staff members were friendly and helpful, and later the checker told me he's never seen them clear the store before.

I got some great deals with my coupons, but I couldn't help but wonder ... is the universe telling me coupons aren't worth it? I have to wonder...

Photo: Rick Danzl/The News-Gazette: A storm front moves east through Vermilion County south of Rossville on Wednesday May 25, 2011.

Comments

Comment viewing options

Julie Wurth wrote on May 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

Luckily, we were at home. We went down to the basement with our usual provisions: a radio, flashlight, blanket and our Apples to Apples game to keep the kiddos happy! They kind of think of it as an adventure, because they don't normally get to go down there. It's a llittle scary.

Meg Dickinson wrote on May 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

I realized last night after arriving home that we don't have a radio in the house. We have GOT to work on that. We do have Apples to Apples, though, so that's good!

virgil g wrote on May 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

I was drinking a delicious Struisse/Stillwater Outblack beer at Radio Maria. I figured if a tornado was going to kill me, I'd go out with a darn good beer.

Meg Dickinson wrote on May 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hah! Did they send you to the inside rooms or anything?

virgil g wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

Most of the customers went down into the basement and stayed there for a while. I stood in the entryway and watched the hail fall. sadly didn't see any tornadoes.

Jodi Heckel wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

The basement of Faith United Methodist Church, with about two dozen Brownies. They were so loud upstairs, following a Brownie ceremony, we didn't even hear the sirens at first. Good thing the basement had a white board. The girls kept busy drawing pictures of tornados.

algon wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

At first I thought you meant brownies as in the chocolate, cake-like kind.

Which wouldn't be bad, actually!

Meg Dickinson wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hey, whatever works. I don't think a picture of a tornado would have comforted me, but I'm glad you guys were safe.

algon wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

I can't believe when I called you last night and asked where you were, you just nonchalantly said "In the back of M#!)#&'s storeroom."

Like, duh, where do you think I am?

Oh, obviously.

Meg Dickinson wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

Haha. And then you said, "Well is ROB with you!?"
He told me he probably shouldn't go because he would just want to add items to the shopping cart like a little kid. I think I left that part out during our phone conversation last night.

bettycat wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

We were waiting for a table at the Black Dog. About fifteen people were crammed into their little waiting area when the sirens blew. Several of us stepped outside to watch the storm roll in. When the rain came it was ice cold! Since we weren't sure at that point how bad it was going to get, I ordered a Dark Horse Crooked Tree to drink while we waited to be either seated or blown away. (Was instead blown away by their food - yum).

Meg Dickinson wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

Glad you still got some dinner out of it!

sahuoy wrote on May 26, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Having driven around the country and witnessed from dual water spouts crossing 10 feet in front of me on a grid locked rush hour standing still interstate out of Dallas to seeing them at various distances spew debris in all their fury I do feel more comfortable when moving lol but when at home under last nights sirens I immediately go outside to watch for flying debris. Not the usual stuff from strong winds but damage debris from things destroyed. ie pieces of obviously shredded wood, siding and any other odd items that would tell me its probably a tornado, its nearby, "Gone To The Basement" lol. Yes, some risk standing outside as a funnel cloud could drop straight down, lol, midwest-tornado alley humor but its all in the course of living out the old wild west dust bowl storied days gone past ; ) I don't recall ever in my lifetime knowing of a tornado that caused 1500 + people missing, ie Joplin, MO. While such is not the common know that they do exist and occasionally do much more killing than the average twister.

Visiting family from California immediately dive under a kitchen table when sirens scream and when in California I run for open fields if I stand a chance of a short hop skip or jump but when in a building I stay aware of the stronger locations, ie, stair wells, (Not the stairs just the door ways), closets having a small space with four close walls gives good support to falling things to ride out a quake. ;) Quake residents logic is about the same as our tornado logic and daring. Those in large open spaced type stores like a Lowe's, Walmart, sports arena, etc stand a higher risk of injury in a bad quake.

Jodi Heckel wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 pm

There were some of those too.

Jodi Heckel wrote on May 26, 2011 at 9:05 pm

The chocolate brownies, I mean.