How I made an upcycled, monogrammed paperclip holder

How I made an upcycled, monogrammed paperclip holder

My sister is in love with cute office supplies.

I think this may be the result of keeping her desk far cleaner than I do, but that's just a theory.

Blog PhotoAnyhow, she's been asking me for months for a cute place to store her paperclips at work, and after many delays, I finally finished one.

My first step: buying a empty candy tin from The I.D.E.A. Store. They said they go through lots of small tins.

I forgot to take a before picture, but it looked like this, only the whole lid was covered with the logo for whatever brand of candy it used to contain. I hot-glued magnets to the bottom of the tin in order to better contain the paperclips.

My first idea was to cover the tin with a cool, black-and-white floral fabric, using hot glue as an adhesive. But the lid fits so tightly onto the tin that once I added fabric, I couldn't get it to shut. At this point, I took a couple of months off to think about my next move.

I then decided that spray paint would be my best option for covering the ugly design on top of the tin. My sister requested copper, but I thought it would look really nice if half was copper and half was a bright white.

Blog PhotoThat would have worked, but it just wasn't snazzy enough to complement her other office supplies, including the cute, colorful clip-tabs and saucy Knock-Knock notepads I got her for her birthday.

Saturday morning, I finally woke up with a plan. I would use an "A" (my sister's first initial) from the set of plastic letters we've repurposed (I think maybe they were originally used in retail, perhaps?) as a pattern. (We used the same letters as patterns for our homemade stockings this winter.)

I took the "A", placed it on top of the tin and found it was the perfect size. So I traced around with with a pencil and mixed up some kelly green and yellow acrylic paint to make the perfect shade of green to match my sister's other office supplies.



Blog Photo

And then, I couldn't find a paintbrush, so I tried using a Q-tip instead. Bad move. The paint went on blotchy and ugly, and I didn't get very far before I wiped it off and rethought my plan ... again.

The plastic "A" looked so cute on the tin that I realized I could probably just find a way to permanently attach it (there are more of the same letter in our set, so that wasn't a problem). I gave it a quick rubdown with sandpaper and painted it, copper too.

When it dried, I attached it to the tin with a thin layer of Gorilla Glue and clamped it for about 45 minutes.

The result is exactly what I was hoping for - it's unique and homemade, but it looks classy enough to sit on my sister's desk at work. I think she was pleased - especially because she finally has a place to store her paperclips.

Blog Photo

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments