Looking for affordable cookware manufactured in the United States

OK, wise readers, I need your help.

A while back, I posted advice from guest blogger Anita Dukeman about what cookware you really need. Her advice: buy cookware made in the United States or Europe. I've been putting off this purchase until about a month ago, when one of my pot lids completely came apart in the dishwasher. It's time for me to upgrade.

Source: all-clad.com via Constantine on Pinterest

I've been checking out places like T.J. Maxx and Tuesday Morning, as Anita suggested, but I'm having a heck of a time finding cookware that isn't manufactured in China. I've also been browsing a bit online: I drool at All-Clad that's made in the United States and a Cuisinart line made in France.

But, I'm sorry, I just can't fathom spending more than $100 on one pot or skillet.

So. I need your help. Is there a line of good-quality cookware not made in China that won't cost as much as my study abroad trip to Slovenia in college? Or am I totally delusional to think I can get a great price on something new? Do you have a surefire source for secondhand, good-quality pots and pans?

I welcome any advice.

Comments

cgirl wrote on October 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I *think* (I'm not sure) that Lodge cast iron is made in America (http://www.lodgemfg.com/aboutus)  and they sell it at Farm and Fleet.  The husband wanted to try cast iron cooking; and I've become a fan as well.

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Yes, I believe it is - someone else suggested I buy Lodge enamel pots and pans, which is a great idea. I have a couple of plain cast-iron skillets I like, but I wouldn't want any more.

Thanks!

svetlanamonsoon wrote on October 15, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Lodge's enamel pots and pans are the only Lodge products not made in the USA. Their entire line of enamel products is made in China.

Patrick Wade wrote on October 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I have a Lodge cast-iron frying pan, too. Bought it in the camping section at Dick's Sporting Goods. Never did use it on that camping trip...

cormsby wrote on October 13, 2012 at 10:10 am

Nordicware headquartered in Minneapolis, MN and for bakeware try Pebbleware in Terre Haute, IN

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 13, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thanks, I will look into those. Appreciate it!

DMC wrote on October 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm

If you love vintage or retro cookware, check out Guardian Ware on ebay or etsy.  This is great cookware that is practically indestructible!  For more infomation, see http://hcprobate.homestead.com/guardian.html.

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 13, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love just about anything that's vintage. Just googled it, and now I realize my mom had or has a couple of pieces of that. Thanks for the tip!

Alexander wrote on October 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

Ms. Dickinson -- I think your article (or "blog post") would be non-offensive if you simply asked for good cookware from the US or Europe without bringing China into it. Better yet, you could have done a quick google search and listed some lines that are made in your preferred locales and then asked for advice on those. Instead you left the question vague. That vagueness, combined with your reiteration of Ms. Dukeman's vague insinuations about the problems with Chinese cookware, simply, in my opinion, smacks of racism.

This is punctuated by your sentence "Is there a line of good-quality cookware not made in China..." (which now replaces "USA and Europe" by "anywhere"). Are you OK with cookware from Japan (or is that not "European" enough). How about some old pieces from the former Soviet bloc (European, but are you sure they're safe)? Maybe from Africa?

I get what the sentiment is about China. There's also a sentiment (by fools) about the intellect of blondes. What's the point of bringing either aspect in?

Whatdidyoujustsay wrote on October 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm

What is wrong with you? We're talking about pots and pans and you bring racism into it?

Alexander wrote on October 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Nothing is wrong with me. I said what I had to say in my original post. Do you have something specific to say about that? What's wrong with you?

asparagus wrote on October 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Honestly, I don't see what racism has to do with cookware.  If I say that I don't want to buy chinese made cookware, how does that make me a racist?  At worst I could be accussed of promoting a stereotype about safety of chinese made products overall, but I don't see how that generalizes to ideas about chinese individuals.  I'm suggesting that you are inferring far more than is being implied.  Racism is so much a part of YOUR thinking that you are projecting it onto an innocent conversation about pots and pans.  It only makes you seem foolish.

Sid Saltfork wrote on October 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm

For those interested in cast iron cookware; please take into consideration others who may eat the food prepared in cast iron cookware.  Many people have conditions that should not allow even minimal amounts of iron entering into their systems.  Almost every food product with the exception of cheese, and vegetables has iron content.  For those who need to avoid iron intake, cast iron cookware is verboten.

dw wrote on October 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Alexander wrote "I get what the sentiment is about China."

No, in this case you clearly don't. Here's a direct quote from the guest blogger:

Try to stay away from anything made in China (inferior materials used to make products) as you get what you pay for.

Ms. Dukeman's insinuations were not vague, they were in fact quite specific and neither racial nor jingoistic in nature: the majority of Chinese cookingware manufacturers acheive their cheap prices by using inferior materials, resulting in inferior products.  She neither wrote nor insinuated anything  about the Chinese people, ergo, not racism.

bb wrote on October 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm

The copper-clad stainless steel Revere Ware line was made in Clinton Illinois from about 1950-1999.  They make them overseas now, but you should still be able to find the Clinton-made pots and pans used.  They are clearly stamped with "Clinton, Ill." on the bottom.  I still use mine all the time.

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm

That is great advice - those are the kind my mom uses, too. I'll keep an eye out.

Sandy wrote on October 17, 2012 at 1:10 am

I'd recommend you look at eBay for bargains on cookware if you wish to purchase quality American cookware at a reasonable price. My Calphalon from the 80's is still in great shape, as is my KitchenAid mixer of the same vintage -- both are now made overseas.

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 17, 2012 at 8:10 am

That's a great idea, too. Great way to get some secondhand, good-quality pans without having to spend tons of time scouring thrift shops.

xb wrote on October 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

KitchenAid stand mixers (the vintage style metal ones) are still made in Ohio.

ClearVision wrote on October 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

Your blogger states quite clearly that "you get what you pay for" and recommends some quality manufacturers. So why do you turn around and solicit advice for cheap stuff? Trust your expert guest blogger; you'll end up spending less money in the long run-- I threw away a lot of junk before figuring that out for myself.

Enough of the abstract advice, here's a concrete tip: look for sales and seconds of the quality brands she recommends. For example, the Cookware & More web site features sales and seconds of All-clad cookware, Wüsthof cutlery, etc.

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

I absolutely do trust her, which is why I'm researching and asking advice before making any purchases. She recommended trying T.J. Maxx or Tuesday Morning for made-in-America or European items, but I haven't found any there.

I've gotten a lot of great suggestions from this post that I hadn't considered or known about, like Lodge, NordicWare or cruising eBay to find vintage, made-in-America pots and pans. I love knowing that I don't have to spend $200 on a high-end skillet to get something of quality.

Acl wrote on October 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I was just at TJ Maxx yesterday, and there were definitely a few pieces of All-Clad and Staub (like Le Creuset, but made in France, not USA). I've gotten ALL of my LC and AC from TJ Maxx. You just have to go occasionally. You will save money in the long run buying quality pieces. My mom has AC that is over 30 years old that is great. And, don't put  it in the dishwasher!

Meg Dickinson wrote on October 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

And thanks, I'll check out that website.