Finishing a kitchen apron hanger out of repurposed rolling pins

Finishing a kitchen apron hanger out of repurposed rolling pins

Blog PhotoIt's been a few months since I bought little rolling pins from The I.D.E.A. Store, and finally - the apron hanger I made from them is done.

Ahh, I love finishing a long-neglected project. In my defense, I've made quite a few Christmas presents since then.

When I last wrote, Rob had taken apart the rolling pins and cut them in half with his table saw.

I then sanded all the gunk off all the resulting parts, and used this Vintage Chippy Paint tutorial to make them look antique.

Blog PhotoTo paint them, I attached small nails to a piece of scrap wood. The handles are hollow, so I just set them on the nails to keep them upright. (I thought I took a photo of this stage but I can't find it now. Sorry.)

I coated parts of them with petroleum jelly and dry-brushed all four with white paint. I topped them off four different colors: both my favorite Barcelona Blue and turquoise paints on two of the handles, and red and green acrylic paints on the other two.

Then I let them sit for weeks before I got around to distressing them. But that petroleum jelly coating worked really well - the paint chipped right off in places where I added it. The method gives it a pretty authentic antique look.

 

Blog PhotoRob and I talked about using our brass kickplate as the base for the hanger, but it was just too big. The rolling pin halves looked funny and small on it.

Instead, we used a piece of scrap wood left over from the end-table dog crate.

We attached the actual pins to the wood with epoxy, and tried to add the handles with the same substance. It didn't really work, though - there just wasn't enough contact between the hollow handles and hollow rolling pins. A few days later, I tried wood glue, and that didn't work either. Finally, I broke out traditional Gorilla Glue, which expands as it dries. This did the trick.

(Originally, the handles were attached with metal rods, which Rob removed before cutting the rolling pins in half.)

Rob had trouble finding small nails tiny enough to attach hangers to the back, so instead, he put two small eyelet screws in the top.

I threaded through and knotted some twine and hung the hanger from it, in my kitchen.

Blog PhotoMy denim apron made from a pair of beloved jeans looks great on it, and so does another vintage apron I got from my grandma.

I'm pleased with the results but more than that, I'm glad to have this little DIY out of the basement and into the kitchen.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments