She predicted I wouldn't be able to wait long before starting that process. She was right, and luckily, the temperatures in the 70s this week made stripping the locker quite pleasant.
Rob and I used mostly the same strategy as when we removed the paint from our cool metal vertical file to strip the locker. We finished the bulk of it in about four hours Wednesday evening, and I finished it in about an hour yesterday.
I used more of the gallon of Strypeeze stripper I bought last fall for the vertical files, and again used a putty knife and a scraper, steel wool, soapy water, rags and plenty of newspaper to get the job done.
The cream-colored paint required quite a few coats of stripper to remove. I was especially excited when the paint came off the locker number, which managed to retain its black coloring so you can actually read it.
After we got the paint off, a coat of olive green rust inhibitor remained. When we stripped the vertical files, brush cleaner and steel wool took off that layer.
By pure accident, I finally found that Strypeeze applied to steel wool and rubbed vigorously on the rust inhibitor took it off. That was a relief - Rob, who's a notorious worrier, says brush cleaner is really nasty stuff and he wasn't keen on buying more for this project.
I finished taking off the last of the rust inhibitor last night. I then scrubbed the locker down with soapy water and dried it with rags to prevent water spots. I then sprayed it with Rustoleum Painter's Touch matte clear coat, to prevent rust on the bare metal.