Meg Makes: How I made several knit items for a baby shower gift
I've made several fun gifts this summer, which makes me happy. The problem with gifts, though, is it's hard to blog about them until after they're delivered.
I recently sent a few baby shower gifts I made for Rob's cousins and the baby they're expecting soon. I didn't know its gender, so that was kind of a fun challenge for the gift-making process.
The gifts were a sweet receiving blanket, featuring a combination of knit and crochet, and three knitted baby washcloths. I had trouble finding a pattern I liked well enough for both blanket and washcloths, so I was inspired by the knitting stitch library at craftcookie.com.
I knew the blanket would have to be small. I had wonderful, sportweight baby-friendly (acrylic = washable) white yarn with yellow spots, but not very much. I just knit it to as wide as I wanted - about 84 stitches on my second try (the first was too wide).
Then, I used the Ladder to the Sky stitch from the above website to make it as big as possible. I used
size six knitting needles. It worked up really quickly. If you're doing this, make sure you knit two rows of stockinette stitch at the beginning and end to prevent rolling, and two knit stitches at the beginning and end of each row, for the same purpose.
The stockinette stitch edges were thin because I wanted to add a crochet border and didn't want it to look funny.
To make the border, I used a size F crochet hook and a complementary sportweight yellow baby yarn. I found the widest border possible in "Around the Corner Crochet Borders." I can't remember its number, but would be happy to find it if anyone is dying to use this border.
The great thing about the border, though, is that it left space for me to weave through a thin yellow ribbon. It's the first time I've ever tried that with a craft project and love how it turned out. After consulting with the mom of a toddler, I sewed the ribbon down at the bow and the blanket's three other corners in order to make it baby-safe.
To make all three washcloths, I used Sugar'n Cream 100 percent cotton yarn and size six knitting needles. I made them all about 30 stitches wide, adjusting the number to account for the stitch pattern I was using. (Many stitch patterns will require you to start with with a specific number of stitches, to make the pattern work correctly.)
As with the blanket, each washcloth began and ended with three rows of stockinette stitch and two knit stitches at the beginning and end of each patterned row.
I loved how all three came out but especially like the ribboned stockinette stitch. The back, especially, is beautiful. I will definitly be using it again.
The daisy stitch, I though, would be easier with a crochet hook or Knook, because it involves purling three stitches together ... twice. Once I had some practice, I got used to it, but it was a challenge at first.
I was really proud of basically creating my own patterns for these items, and I hope they'll be well used as Rob's relatives welcome their little one into the world.