Michigan tight end commits to Illinois

Illinois landed a verbal commitment on Monday night from Tyler White, a 6-foot-5-inch, 235-pound senior tight end from Plainwell (Mich.) High School, according to various reports.

White becomes the 19th commit for head coach Tim Beckman's Class of 2013, the third from the state of Michigan and the first tight end. Plainwell is 5-1 on the season and will play at undefeated Paw Paw (Mich.) High School this Friday night.

Senior Christian DiLauro from Green (Ohio) High School, who committed to Illinois in mid-April, is a tight end, but is projected to play on the offensive line at Illinois.

Comments

bernies wrote on October 02, 2012 at 11:10 am

I read on the "mlive" web site that Tyler White wanted offers from two MAC schools, but when neither school offered, he picked Illinois:

"'Ever since spring, I'd been hoping for an offer. First, I wanted an offer from Eastern Michigan; second, I thought it was going to be the University of Toledo, and neither of them happened,' White said. 'Then Illinois came along. They committed to me off the bat. When the offer came, I knew the Lord had intended on it – that Eastern Michigan and Toledo didn't offer because I was supposed to be (at Illinois).'"

Hopefully this kid is a late-blooming diamond-in-the-rough (he only weighed 200 pounds as a junior) and the Illinois offer will be vindicated, but still...

bernies wrote on October 02, 2012 at 2:10 pm

The "mlive" web site also said:

"It was the first Division I offer for White, who also had scholarship opportunities with Division II Grand Valley State and Ferris State, as well as Siena Heights of the NAIA."

Like I said, I'm hoping that the kid is a late-blooming diamond-in-the-rough (and he may well be) but it seems odd that a Big Ten team is competing with the likes of Grand Valley State, Ferris State, and Siena Heights.

OKOMIS wrote on October 02, 2012 at 3:10 pm

so what... illinois only school to offer Jay Prosch in 2010.. northern Illinois didn't, south alabama didn't..

PeterE wrote on October 04, 2012 at 4:10 pm

That's not true. Prosch had offers from SEC schools and others but the wanted him to play linebacker and Prosch wanted to play offense so Illinois was able to grab him. It seems as though Beckman in many of his recruiting targets cases is the only Big ten school to offer. I just have to wonder about the quality of his recruits when most were only courted by MAC schools and bottom dwelling D-1 schools. Can't compete with Urban Meyer, Dantonio, etc doing that.

bernies wrote on October 02, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Like I said...I'm hoping the kid is one of those diamond-in-the-rough players. Only time will tell.

PeterE wrote on October 04, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Expecting 20+ some diamonds in the rough is expecting too much. Need more 4-5* players!