MONTICELLO — Steve Schroeder is on the fast track in his pursuit of excellence.
A state cross-country championship is the latest step on his journey to success, but it's not the end of the path for the Monticello High School senior.
There's more for The News-Gazette Male Runner of the Year to achieve, athletically, academically and in his personal life.
Dike Stirrett, Unity
Why: In his 39th year coaching cross-country and sixth at Unity, guided the Rockets to their third consecutive Class 1A top 10 state-meet finish. Unity placed second, its best finish ever in the sport.
PEORIA — Monticello's Steve Schroeder helped to redefine fast in Saturday's boys' Class 1A state cross-country meet at Detweiller Park.
The announcer was incredulous.
"Schroeder has caught up to the pace truck," he said, shortly after the first of 208 runners passed the mile marker.
PEORIA — The nickname was given the first day of practice: State champ.
The affirmation came Saturday, the 87th day after high school cross-country teams started their official fall workouts: State champ.
SCHOOL (previous) COMMENT
1. Mahomet-S. (2) Qualified team for Class 2A state
2. Monticello (1) Qualified team for Class 1A state
3. SJ-O (3) Qualified team for Class 1A state
4. Centennial (4) Qualified two individuals for 2A state
5. STM (7) Qualified one individual for 1A state
6. Central (6) Qualified one individual for 2A state
Best all-state cross-country bets, courtesy Marcus Jackson
FORSYTH — Monticello's Steve Schroeder and St. Joseph-Ogden's Chelsea Blaase won individual titles during the Class 1A St. Teresa Sectional at Hickory Point Golf Course on Saturday.
Schroeder won the boys' race in 14 minutes, 55 seconds. This was the third time Schroeder placed among the top five at a sectional race and the first time he won the meet.
Scott Woodard, Unity, Cross-country, Senior
Recently: Won the regional title at PBL and led the state-ranked Rockets to the team title
In his own words: "We'd really like to go out on top, especially with our top five being seniors. I'm confident in our team. We've worked really hard all year."
I'm driving ... an Oldsmobile.
Honors for ex-Maroon Beach
This week: Boys' cross-country
SCHOOL (PREVIOUS) COMMENT
1. Monticello (1) Sages have no sectional titles
2. Mahomet-Seymour (2) Last sectional title: 1979
3. Unity (3) Rockets have no sectional titles
4. St. Thomas More (4) Sabers have no sectional titles
5. St. Joseph-Ogden (5) Last sectional title: 1999