– EMILY SPANGLER (39) and KATIE SPANGLER (44) swept the top two spots for host Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley in a triangular win against LeRoy and Iroquois West.
– CHRIS WITTEMAN (39) and DAVID HOHULIN (44) led the GCMS boys to a win against Iroquois West and Fisher at Railside. Iroquois West's Kyle Pool was the medalist with a 37.
– ABBY ARMSTRONG had 10 kills in Buckley Christ Lutheran's 25-22, 24-26, 25-20 victory against Urbana Uni High. JAMIE BLUE had 10 kills for the Illineks.
– Centennial improved to 15-1 with a 25-12, 25-15 victory against Mattoon. MORGAN LEACH had eight kills, KELLY WACHTEL added four and LINDSAY ROGAN added 11 assists.
URBANA – The names are ones of multi-sport Urbana High athletes from nearly a quarter of a century ago: Kirk Mammen, Mark Mammen and Dave Williams.
The individuals are ones, however, who are still prominent in the sporting community.
They might be more recognizable by their stage names as SuperDome, Tanglefoot Jones and Six-burgh.
Mason Silver. Senior, St. Joseph-Ogden, Golf
Recently: Shot a 72 and placed second in the 22-team Pekin Golf Invitational. He competed as an individual because SJ-O doesn't have a team.
I need tickets to ... Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan.
If I had a million dollars, I'd ... buy land with a lake and woods on it.
1. Centennial: Senior Lizzy Dombroski area's top scorer
2. St. Thomas More: Three juniors among area's top 10
3. Mahomet-Seymour: Four underclassmen lead the team
4. Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley: All six squad members are underclassmen
5. LeRoy: Two juniors are the top scorers
6. Blue Ridge: Two juniors, two seniors set the pace
URBANA BOYS' SOCCER
After placing third in the Morton tournament, the Tigers returned to action and handed Champaign Central its first loss of the season.
– STEPHEN KROUT's 1-over 36 led Bismarck-Henning (161) past Westville (217) and Shiloh (240) at Harrison Park.
– Medalist BROCK PEAVLER shot 36 as Rantoul edged Centennial 181-183.
– ASHLEY TIELE was medalist with a 45 in Milford's loss to Iroquois West at Shagbark. CRYSTAL MEDINA shot 46 for the Raiders.
ARMSTRONG – Bob Bezely started teaching and coaching in the Armstrong school district in 1957. More than a half-century later, he remains active with the district as a bus driver. His lengthy tenure means one thing: He has seen hundreds and hundreds of athletes.
– Freshman GABI RAJIC of Urbana won two individual events and swam on two first-place relays at the Ed Fredericks Lady Charger Invitational at Unit 4 Pool in Champaign.
– TANNER GOSLIN had 10 saves for Champaign Central in a 2-0 shutout of visiting Bloomington. DINI MUHARREMI and JULIO ZACO scored for the Maroons.