Jan. 17 Voice of the Illini chat

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:00am

Ask Brian Barnhart about his working relationship with John Groce. Or his favorite interviews. Or his thoughts on Tim Beckman. Anything goes during his weekly chat (11 a.m. Thursdays). Submit questions any time.

Brian Barnhart (moderator) — 11:10 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

Good morning!  Important game for the Illini tonight vs Northwestern.  Lets get started

FredFan7 — 11:10 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

Does the DIA have a course or program for its athletes to avoid falling victim to pranks, scams, and hoaxes?  Do they also talk to them about the pitfalls to participating in pranks that can get out of control and other scams?  This stuff at Notre Dame is just crazy.

Brian Barnhart (moderator) — 11:19 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

Really is crazy stuff at Notre Dame.  I know that student-athletes at the University of Illinois are advised on how to handle media questions...how to stay away from certain situations that put them in physical danger or in situations where they might be taken advantage of by someone else.

Part of it is common sense...but on the other hand the high visible student-athletes (like those in football and basketball)  sometimes have to be extra careful not to get themselves into a situation like the Notre Dame linebacker finds himself in today.

Jim in Peotone — 11:20 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

Thoughts on Cubit? Was he the first choice? How much is he getting paid?

Brian Barnhart (moderator) — 11:26 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

Jim,

Dont know what the order of preference was to hire the new offensive coordinator...but it was rumored to be Bill Cubit a day or two after Chris Beatty was not asked to come back.  It was not long after that season that Bill Cubit was let go at Western Michigan and I know that Tim Beckman has a lot of respect for Coach Cubit...having coached against him in the MAC

i really like the hire.  His offenses at Western Michigan were very good (around 30 points per game).  He has been an offensive coordinator at pretty high-profile places (Missouri for instance).  He has been a head coach...so he understands the pressures involved that Tim Beckman faces everyday as the head man at Illinois.

Plus I have personally  always liked having one person be the public spokesman for the offense or defense.

Dont know what he is getting paid...but I am guessing it is not as much as  what Paul Petrino was being paid when he was at Illinois.

Jim in St. Joe — 11:26 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

" Ask Brian Barnhart about his working relationship with John Groce."

Ok, how is that relationship?  How does working with Groce compare to his predecessor's?  Is dealing with basketball coaches different than the football coaches?

Keep up the good work, really enjoy listening to your coverage with the television turned down!

Brian Barnhart (moderator) — 11:33 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

Thanks for listening and watching Jim!

My relationship with John Groce is very good.  He has been a pleasure to work with and  he is easy to discuss team issues with (both on and off the air).   Very helpful to me with what I need to know to do my job well.

In a lot of cases basketball and football coaches can have very different styles and approaches to media members and team radio announcers.

I have found Tim Beckman and John Groce to be a lot alike.  They are both high-energy people...and really good on keeping me updated on what is happening with the team(s).

Brian Barnhart (moderator) — 11:35 AM on Thu, 01/17/2013

I have a luncheon to attend....so that will do it for today. Thanks!