On Jan. 9:
In 1914, after a long series of delays, the contract to build the new German Lutheran church at Flatville has been awarded to William Kuhne of Rantoul with a bid of $28,749, which does not include the furnishing of brick and sand. Flatville is a settlement about 4 miles east of Thomasboro. It is interesting to note that the "Dutch Flats," as the Flatville area is known, was once a huge swamp, shunned by farmers settling this part of the country. But drainage accomplished wonders, and the thrifty Germans who settled the area were repaid by having their property developed into land with among the highest values in the state. Practically all land in the area is valued at $250 an acre.
In 1964, a cigarette vending machine has been removed from the University of Illinois-owned McKinley Hospital after a vote of the physicians working at the hospital.
In 1999, the "bubble" over the football field at the University of Illinois Memorial Stadium collapsed during the Jan. 1 snowstorm, and when it did, the doors into the structure bent or blew out. The "bubble" has been in service since 1985. It had a five- to seven-year lifespan. UI officials hope to get one more year out of it before a new $12.5 million indoor football practice facility is built.