My Amish Home | Wintry weather's not so bad when sun's out

My Amish Home | Wintry weather's not so bad when sun's out

"Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour. But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient; but rather giving of thanks." Ephesians 5:1-4

It is Tuesday afternoon, and it is cold! Well, not really too bad. It's just that it is overcast and seems so dreary. Although, when the big fluffy snowflakes go whirling through the air, it does look nice.

And it is cozy inside. In all reality, it is a nice winter day. I am glad the wind settled down.

I tell you, yesterday morning, when I went out to get the horse ready to go to work, I felt like being a baby and just staying at home. But I put on my big-girl boots and left. They pinched my feet, but I tried to ignore it. I told myself when it gets to be daylight, it won't seem so bad.

And seriously, it didn't. But I was glad when I had Hubby at home and we could stay there. Today was much better. The snow was actually kind of nice. I still don't like the cold, but I really think it is more tolerable than the wind.

Snow in itself isn't so bad, it's just I don't like to share the road with snowplows. Or rather, our horse doesn't.

So now I'm starting my column early. Wednesday is usually my day to write, but I plan to do chicken broth tomorrow, so I decided to get started.

I was being kind of lazy today. It was that kind of day. I didn't have to wash, clean house or write. Or at least, I hadn't planned on writing, until I remembered I can pick up my broth meat at the health-food store tomorrow. It seems not only am I affected with OCD, but I also have a touch of ADD.

Does that sound better than saying I'm just plain lazy? I did get out the quilt I'm working on. I had put everything away for Thanksgiving. It seems I can't stay with any project very long.

I cleaned out a drawer. I happened to think of several items I can't find. I have been looking everywhere. So I cleaned out the drawer where the stuff was supposed to be. No luck. I would declare I had it in my hands just the other week. Am I going crazy or what?!

This is now Wednesday afternoon as I continue. It is a be-yoo-ti-ful day! This afternoon, it is mostly overcast, but we did have sunshine. God is Good!

I did my laundry. It is still out on the lines. This morning, with the sun shining so nicely, I was once again so thankful for my laundry spinner and my lines on the south side under the roof. Yes! I love it!

I picked up 25 pounds of chicken backs at the health-food store to cook for broth. I got that started cooking while I did laundry, then went to get Hubby. When I got back, it was ready to be picked off the bones. I noticed it had an off smell. It didn't really smell spoiled. Spoiled chicken broth really stinks!

When I had all the chicken dumped out of the stockpot, I saw what the problem was: A piece of chicken was stuck to the bottom and was burned.

I have 34 pints cooking.

On Sunday, we had our Plank Thanksgiving dinner at sis Barb and Elmer Gingerichs. Our usual affair of delicious food — way too much — and fellowship. Supper usually consists of leftovers, heated up or not, and eating while playing games. For some of us.

I didn't realize someone would find my style of eating noteworthy, but apparently, Barb did, as she took a picture and sent it to niece Tanya Schrock.

I didn't think it was all that funny — just quirky, like me!

I had fixed a plate for Erwin, then decided I wanted a dinner roll warmed up. I put it in a small bowl and got Elmer to put it in the microwave for me.

Then I decided I wanted noodles and dressing with gravy. So I put that in a small bowl. I sat at the table, then someone came over with tapioca pudding.

"Oh, I wanted some, too. Well, I don't want it with my hot stuff," I said.

Then here comes Elmer with a bowl of tapioca. So there I was, three bowls in front of me! I guess it did look hilarious.

Anyway, we had fun.

In closing: "The trouble with winter sports is that — follow me closely here — they generally take place in the winter." — Dave Barry

This recipe comes out of the magazine "Our Iowa." I thought you might want to start a Christmas tradition.


1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin

2 tablespoons cold water

2 cups half-and-half

3 eggs, separated

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup sugar, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1/4 teaspoon almonds extract

1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted

4 maraschino cherries, chopped

4 maraschino cherries, quartered

19-inch pastry shell, baked

In a small bowl, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until softened. Meanwhile, scald half-and-half in a double boiler. Remove from heat.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks. Add salt and 1/3 cup sugar; beat until lemon colored and foamy. Blend in small amount of half-and-half. Add mixture to remaining half-and-half in double boiler. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly, for seven to 10 minutes or until mixture coats a spoon. Add softened gelatin and extracts; blend well. Chill until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; add remaining sugar and mix well. Fold into chilled gelatin mixture. Reserve a few almonds for garnish; stir rest of almonds and chopped cherries into mixture. Pour into baked shell; garnish with quartered cherries and reserved almonds.

Chill completely before serving.

Sections (1):Living
Topics (2):Food, People