My Amish Home | HCK fire disrupts routine start of spring

My Amish Home | HCK fire disrupts routine start of spring

"For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:7-10

Is it spring now? According to the calendar, it is official. But on this first day, it is cloudy and drizzly, although it seems like the clouds might be thinning. The robins are plentiful and are singing their "cheerily, cheerily" songs. It helps brighten the day.

Monday was really nice. I made two trips to Arthur on the bike. Since husband Erwin is on vacation this week, I just used the bike to go do my cleaning job.

Then after lunch I had a dental appointment, so I used the bike again. On the second trip, my legs were screaming at me, Enough already! I hadn't been doing much biking this winter, barely any, for that matter. Occasionally out to the mailbox and back, so yes, my leg muscles seriously protested.

I did laundry Monday and Tuesday. It was so nice to hang out everything. Yesterday I really should have been home all day. My windows are so terrible that one can barely see through them. And the buggy, Oh my! It is almost more brown-flecked than black.

But hubby had an appointment so — at least we got to see our great grandson, Jamin Christopher. He sure is a cutie, so tiny, cuddly and adorable!

I decided since we have to leave anyway and the weather is nice, we'll just go visit him. I fixed a casserole and baked some bars to take along.

Since I had already been to Arthur twice on Monday, I decided we may go the third time. We went to clean. But this time we used the buggy.

Coming home, having a late supper and laundry still needing to be taken care of, the supper dishes stayed on the unwashed side of the sink.

Tuesday morning, the breakfast dishes joined them, probably conferring among themselves on this sloppy housewife. But I wanted to do some more laundry, throws, pillows, etc., and get those things hung out so it would dry before we leave yet again! And I wanted to do the casserole and bars so those dishes would also get washed. And yes, I had a whole sink and counter loaded with dirty dishes.

So anyway, life goes on. And for some, a sudden stop and regrouping. Such was the case this past Friday morning. A neighbor discovered that the door shop at HCK was on fire. It was early, 4:30 a.m. A huge loss, materialistically. No lives lost, no injuries and no other buildings involved. We are so thankful for that.

And very grateful for the ever-efficient Arthur fire squad and all the other surrounding departments that came to their aid. And the help of neighbors that provided food for the firemen.We actually didn't know about it until on the way to work. We were stopped by an employee at A&M Division's shop in our neighborhood. He told us there was a fire at HCK. Sis Louise had left us a message about it, but I didn't check before we left.We decided we were of no use hanging around there so we just came back home.

It was Friday and here I was with extra time at home. I had cleaned the house and done the laundry on Thursday. I was kind of just bobbing around, not knowing where to start or what, for that matter. It was kind of like sis Barb told me, I didn't know when to eat my Cheerios!On Saturday, I talked with Kevin, a grandson of Adlai of HCK and Family Health Food Store manager. I asked if anything was saved out of the shop. "Yes," he said, "two bags of ice!" Imagine that! Out of that inferno, two bags of ice were saved. Ironic! And really kind of humorous!It was in the freezer and the unit, although not salvageable, protected the ice.In closing: What is right is not always popular, what is popular is not always right.

I think this week we'll have this sheet cake.


For cake

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 tablespoons cocoa

1 cup hot water

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup milk

For icing

1/2 cup butter

4 tablespoons cocoa

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 cups powdered sugar

4 tablespoons water

1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

To make cake, mix butter, vegetable oil, cocoa and hot water together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.

Sift flour, sugar, soda and salt together in a mixing bowl and add boiled mixture. Beat well.

Add beaten eggs, vanilla and milk to flour mixture. Pour into a greased 11-by-17-inch sheet pan and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

While cake bakes, cook icing: Bring butter, cocoa and vanilla to a boil, then remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and water alternately to boiled mixture, beating until smooth. Add nuts. Use immediately.

Sections (1):Living
Topics (2):Food, People