Friday, September 30, 2016 83
Friday, September 30, 2016 Today's Schedule Listen Now!
Breaking News Campustown shooting suspect's bond left at $5 million
Login to comment or to shop for deal of the day or books.
Login to your member account to read premium articles.
History of Villa Grove
Photographer: Courtesy of Camargo Township Library
C & EI Depot, Villa Grove, 1893.
Villa Grove Roundhouse, 1939.
C and EI engine at Villa Grove.
Villa Grove turntable.
Villa Grove pump house.
S.A. Plumbing and Heating on Adams St. Left to right: Mrs. Combs, Evangeline Combs and S.A. Combs.
Paul Knox Hardware store, 13 N. Main, in 1946. Herman Bean is on the left and Paul Knox is on the right.
Hess Drug Store. Shown: Harold Fisher, Jane Hess, Agnes Hess, Louise Fisher and Harry Newman.
Alexander Lumber, one of the original businesses in Villa Grove.
George Barker with Smiley Burnett at a Pancake Festival.
1947 Pancake Festival.
Pancake Queen Joan Wegeng, 1952.
Cooks at the 1948 Pancake Festival.
Main Street in Downtown Villa Grove prior to the streets being paved in 1925.
The old Villa Grove depot at the corner of Henson and Front Streets, probably in the 1890s.
Busy Villa Grove depot, probably in the 1890s.
Jeannette's clothing store, 1924-25.
Downtown Villa Grove in the early 1920s.
Villa Grove Businessmen's baseball team, 1909.
Villa Grove Cemetery Committee outdoors for lunch in the early 1900s.
1916 Baptist Church Sunday School picnic.
1925 Young Women's Society of Sacred Heart Church.
Villa Grove Christian Church, 1925.
Villa Grove Methodist Church was moved in to town in 1889 and burned to the ground in 1900.
Van Rheeden and Sons float, July 4, 1918 in the parade on Jefferson St. near the Baptist Church.
Villa Grove eighth grade basketball team, 1916-17.
Sprinkles Drug Store on Main St. in Villa Grove.
Sam Combs Plumbing supplies, 1923.
Installing the first paved streets in Villa Grove, around 1925.
Fogerson's Dry Goods, downtown Villa Grove.
Blue Moon Ramblers, 1933. The group included John Hodge, Slim Dennis, Estella Wingler, Arnon Williams and Joe Thompson.
Chunges Brothers Candy Kitchen in 1922. The photo shows John Chunges, Ada Hanson, Wayne Tressenriter and Curt Meadows.
Andrews Machine Shop, with Charles Andrews standing in back, Red Andrews sitting in the chair and Cletus Andrews with a book. Archie Mettler is on the right.
Alexander Lumber Co., between 1925 and 1930.
House at 104 S. Richman, Villa Grove, in 1908.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bud Wire was one of the first houses in Villa Grove.
First National Bank, Villa Grove, around 1909.
1939 flood in Villa Grove.
Villa Grove's Palace Hotel between 1908 and 1910.
Fogerson's clothing store, downtown Villa Grove.
Morrison and Co. Grocery store was one of the businesses in the building that is now the Camargo Township Library in Villa Grove.
Charles Heaton's delivery truck, a Model T Ford truck, in 1919.
A Villa Grove band in 1912. Members were Carlos Brewer, Kate Haines, Fern Bird, Ruth Moore and Albert Brewer.
Villa Grove telephone operators.
DuBoise Restaurant dining room, Villa Grove, year unknown.
North Main Street during a Villa Grove flood.
Bessie Maxey's first grade class at Villa Grove school.
1923 Villa Grove State Champion basketball team.
Villa Grove school band, 1930s.
C and EI Yardmaster's office at the Villa Grove depot.
View of Villa Grove looking northwest from the top of the water tower.
Kids walking to school on North Main Street, prior to 1925.
Villa Grove hotels, downtown, between 1910-1920. They included the Frisco hotel and lunchroom, McMillen's hotel and restaurant and Windsor hotel and restaurant.
Villa Grove Methodist Church "Follies", 1931.
Comments for this post are inactive.