DANVILLE – Thinking of turning over a new leaf in the new year? Want to cook more at home or maybe fancy up those homemade birthday cakes?
Danville Area Community College's Community Education classes can help with that. The department will offer a series of cake decorating and cooking classes beginning as early as next week.
Cake Decorating classes are held in the DACC Village Mall Education Center, 2917 N. Vermilion St. Three distinct classes are offered for cake decorating and must be taken in sequence. Participants will need to have purchased a $25 decorating kit and book for use in the classes. Class times, dates and costs include:
– Course 1, with three sessions being offered, 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays Jan. 5 through 26, 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays Jan. 7 through 28 or 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays Feb. 2 through 23, $40. Learn baking tips, how to frost cakes, make flowers and borders and place designs on cakes.
– Course 2, 6 to 8 p.m. Fridays Jan. 8 through 29 or Fridays 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 5 through 26, $40.
– Course 3, 1 to 3 p.m. Mondays Jan. 4 through 25, $40.
– Fondant and Gumpaste, 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays Feb. 1 through 22, $40.
Cooking classes are held at the DACC's Bremer Conference Center kitchen, 2000 E. Main St., and include:
– Making Your Food-Dollar Stretch, 6 to 9 p.m. Jan. 18, $30. Learn how to make meals from leftovers, plus homemade chicken and noodles and more.
– Chinese Winter Hot Pot, 6 to 9 p.m. Jan. 25, $30. Starts with a broth in the middle of the table and includes sampling a variety of meatballs, vegetables and noodles to dunk and cook in the broth. After the hot broth, participants will also sample a cool cantaloupe coconut dessert soup.
– Asian Soup and Sides, 6 to 9 p.m. Feb. 22, $30. Starting from a broth, the class will stir up pots of hot and sour soup, beef wontons (Korean-style) and rice porridge. Sample crunchy chips, crisp veggie sprinkles and side dishes for a Chinese meal.
– Mom and Me in the Kitchen, 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 20, $30. Prepare salad, main course and dessert while spending time with your child.
Call the community education office at 477-0603 or 443-9114 or e-mail commed<@>dacc.edu.