DACC schedules computer classes for all skill levels
DANVILLE – Danville Area Community College's Community Education Department will offer a number of computer classes for people just getting started, wanting to try something new or just brushing up on their skills.
Computer classes are held at the DACC Village Mall Education Center, 2917 N. Vermilion St.
Classes area as follows:
– "Computer Understanding for Seniors," 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays Jan. 7 through 28, $80. Class covers computer components and terminology, keyboard and mouse usage, care and handing of discs and an overview of software applications.
– "Social Networking," 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 10, $15. Learn about Facebook and Twitter, how to set up an account and keep in touch with friends and relatives.
– "E-mail and Attachments," 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 26, $15. Learn how to send e-mails, manage your inbox and attach files to messages. Participants should know how to use Microsoft Windows and the mouse.
– "Keyboarding," 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays Feb. 4 through 25, $96. Learn proper hand and finger placement to aid in becoming a successful typist. The class allows people at all levels of competency to work in a self-paced atmosphere.
– "For Beginners Only," 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays Jan. 7 through 28, $96. Classes cover terminology and components of a computer system, hands-on experience with basic Windows system operations such as creating and saving files, basic word processing, e-mail and surfing the Web, and demonstration of digital photos, burning CDs and using flash drives.
– "Word – Level I," 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays Jan. 7 through 28, $96. Create, edit, format and print Word documents including outlines, tables, styles and sections. Also learn printing, saving and retrieving files, creating a newsletter using columns, drawings and object linking and embedding.
– "Excel – Level I," 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays Feb. 2 through 23, $96. Needed: a working knowledge of electronic spreadsheets, what they are and how to use them. Learn to create and format spreadsheets that include charts and multiple worksheets, create formulas and do calculations by using Excel functions, sort and manipulate data in spreadsheets, and how to import and use data.
– "PowerPoint," 9 a.m. to noon Fridays Feb. 5 through 26, $96. Use PowerPoint 2007 to create eye-catching presentations, explore layouts, themes, galleries and background styles, practice using ribbon, contextual tabs, live preview and dialog box launcher when creating and modifying presentations.
– "Introduction to Adobe Photoshop," 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays Feb. 18 through March 11, $64. Learn to retouch images and drawing, prepare images for Web sites or print, edit images using painting tools, clone stamp and drawing tools, and create and edit images using layers. (Room 218, Lincoln Hall, DACC campus, 2000 E. Main St., is the site for this class.)
To register or get more information, call the community education office at 477-0603 or 443-9114 or e-mail commed<@>dacc.edu.