CHAMPAIGN – If you want to build a reputation as fair and just, perhaps you should consider a move to Supreme Court Drive.
That's one of the newest streets in the Champaign-Urbana area. It's one of several thoroughfares in the new Liberty on the Lake subdivision in Champaign and Savoy that draw their names from history and government.
"We wanted to come up with patriotic names," said Sean Luesse, director of development for The Devonshire Group, a consultant to the subdivision developers.
Streets in the Champaign portion of the subdivision include Freedom Boulevard, Patriot Lane, Yankee Lane, Eagle Road, Stanton Drive and Congressional Way.
On the Savoy side, you can find Capitol Street, Potomac Avenue, Declaration Drive, Independence Drive, Fellowship Lane, Kinship Court and Constitution Court.
"It was agreed on that it would be a patriotic theme, not political," Luesse said. "Given that, we spread it around the office and let everyone get involved, including the engineers working on it."
The developers – one local and two from Minnesota – had the final say on names, he said.
Stefanie Pratt, a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker Devonshire Realty, decided to buy a home in the subdivision before knowing the street names. She ended up acquiring a home on Declaration Drive built for the Showcase of Homes.
Pratt said she likes the Declaration Drive name because it suggests independence and "I'm an independent person."
When completed, Liberty on the Lake will encompass about 240 acres. Eighty acres have been developed so far on the Champaign side, and 90 acres have been developed in Savoy.
"I would say there's upwards of 20 residences up out there," Luesse said. "But we've had substantially more lot sales than that. We'll see a spurt in (building) activity next spring."
Here's an incomplete list of some of the other newer street names in Champaign, Urbana and Savoy and the subdivisions in which they are located:
– Joseph Street, Allison Drive and Blanche Lane (Ironwood West subdivision)
– Crabapple Lane (Trails at Chestnut Grove subdivision)
– Palmer Drive, Nicklaus Drive, Snead Drive and Ben Hogan Drive (The Legends subdivision)
– Trey Boulevard, Marie Boulevard, Jacobs Boulevard, English Oak Court, Abbey Fields Drive and Wyndemere Point Drive (Jacobs' Landing subdivision)
– Wendover Place (Robeson Meadows West subdivision)
– Sharp Drive and Stanley Lane (Ashland Park subdivision)
– Hunters Pond Run (east of Ashland Park subdivision)
– Madelyn Drive (Villas at Ashland Farm development)
– Legacy Avenue, Champion Avenue and Saber Drive (Clear View business subdivision)
– Stebbins (Crystal View Townhomes development)
– Skyline Drive, Cedarcrest Drive and River Rock Drive (Somerset subdivision)
– Fairfield Drive (Landis Farm subdivision)
– Bohn Circle (Stone Creek subdivision)
– Horizon Lane and Vernon Drive (South Ridge subdivision)
– Cobble Creek Drive, Pebble Point and Rocky Lane (Cobble Creek subdivision)
– Beacon Hill Circle and Haydon Drive (Beringer Commons subdivision)
– Cyprus Pointe (Waters Edge subdivision)
– Silver Lake Court, Fletcher Court, Cascade Drive, Lake Falls Boulevard and Della Court (Lake Falls subdivision)
– Banbury Lane, Bradford Avenue, Preston Street and Denton Drive (Prairie Meadows subdivision)
– Cedar Grove Court, Fieldstone Drive, Ridge Creek Road and Westboro Road (Fieldstone subdivision)
– Cayman Way, Yorkshire Drive, Carrera Drive and Shantel Drive (Wilshire subdivision)