N-G computer attacked

On Tuesday evening, a News-Gazette computer responsible for delivering advertising content was compromised from outside, an attack that appears to have originated in the Netherlands.

John Reed, information technology director, said the attack may have prompted users to download malware.

As of Wednesday morning, the issue has been resolved, he said.

Analysis is continuing to determine how the attack occurred.

Anyone with questions may contact Reed at 217-351-5230 or via email.

Sections (2):News, Local
Topics (1):Technology
Categories (2):News, Technology

Comments

loopillini wrote on September 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I knew it was the NG site...my laptop got hit hard with malware...had to wipe my whole system clean and start over from scratch!

illiniearl wrote on September 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Brought down two of my computers at work and one at home. My other home computer detected it. I'm astonished this occurred and from the newsgazette site. I had to restore the infected computers at a point before Sunday. I keep my computers well protected and have never had this happen to me before. What kind of assurances Newsgazette can I have that this won't happen again?

sahuoy wrote on September 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Criminals come in all counties and countries. The key is to filter out those individuals that have not offended or been convicted of offending but rather those who are going to offend and victimize in the future. Specifically those individuals with the means to make their own rules, ie attorneys, lawmakers, that we are left to play with. They are the ones to be seized and prosecuted for war crimes, ie global economics, against humanity of every country.

taya enfield wrote on September 15, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Please tell me how you would go about filtering out those who are going to offend and victimize in the future. Last I checked, even Ms. Cleo didn't see that coming.

Everything you perceive happening has already happened. Think about it.

mundaywas wrote on September 16, 2010 at 9:09 am

The malware goes by the name Security Suite. It's a real nasty one. As soon as it popped up, I knew what it was. There's a good tutorial to remove it. Good luck!

bluegrass wrote on September 16, 2010 at 10:09 am

Just now realized that I got the Security Suite from this site. I was blaming my wife for picking it up from facebook or mafia wars. It was a nasty bug but I think I got it fixed.

If we could find out who did this, we should ship them to Indonesia and have them caned for an hour or so.

loopillini wrote on September 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

The virus attacked a computer at my office again last night (Wednesday) from illinihq.com! So much for it being resolved according to this article.