Chicago man killed in I-57 crash

Chicago man killed in I-57 crash

MATTOON — A Chicago man was killed in a four-vehicle accident on Interstate 57 in Coles County early Saturday.

Coles County Coroner Ed Schniers identified him as Martinez Jones, 28, who was driving a car north when it was struck by another car about 12:45 a.m.

A report from Illinois State Police at Pesotum said Michelle Schroeder, 28, of Belleville, was driving south on I-57 near Mattoon when she saw an animal in the road and swerved to miss it.  She lost control, crossed the median, and entered the northbound lanes, striking Mr. Jones’ car.

A northbound semitrailer tractor truck driven by Anthony Shea, 61, of St. Peters, Mo., swerved to avoid Mr. Jones’ car but hit it in the rear driver’s side and bumper area, shearing forward the driver’s door and possibly causing Mr. Jones to be ejected. Shea’s semi then went into the median and came to rest.

A fourth vehicle, another semitrailer tractor truck driven by Joshua Kluesner, 27, of Portage Des Sioux, Mo., could not avoid hitting Mr. Jones as he lay in the road.

In Mr. Jones’ car were Michelle S. Jones, 22, of Champaign, and a 1-year-old whose name was not released. Neither of them was injured. The report said they and Mr. Jones were all wearing seat belts.
None of the other drivers was reported injured.

Schroeder was given a ticket for improper lane usage.

Schniers said he planned to have an autopsy done on Mr. Jones.

Comments

sahuoy wrote on October 02, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Sympathies to the Jones family. Never swerve to avoid an animal. You can slightly veer left or right to lessen your risk or your passengers risk by hitting the animal with an off line or out of direct line part of your vehicle in the event the event the animal flies up into the windshield but that's highly unlikely even when it is a deer. Have seen many people swerve to avoid hitting an animal only to lose control, crash and or crash others in the process. Take the hit, its much safer, your vehicle is protecting you. Just sayin...

Truck Driver

illiniearl wrote on October 02, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Great advice sahuoy truck driver! You probably have saved a future life or two with your sage advice. My sincerest sympathies to the Jones family too.

MICHELLE S JONES wrote on October 03, 2010 at 9:10 am

I AM MARTINEZ JONES WIFE. WE WERE ALL IN THIS CAR. THIS LADY WHO HIT US DID NOT HAVE ANY DAMN LIGHTS ON WHAT SO EVER. SHE CAME OUT OF NOWHERE. HER ENTIRE FRONT HIT OUR ENTIRE FRONT. SHE ZOOMED DOWN THE HIGHWAY THEREAFTER. YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU WERE TRYING TO AVOID AN ANIMAL. NO, YOU WERE THE CAUSE OF ME NOT HAVING A HUSBAND HERE ON EARTH ANYMORE AND OUR 3 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER NEVER REALLY KNOWING WHO HER DAD WILL BE. OUR DAUGHTER WAS IN THAT BACK SEAT. SHE WAS NOT 1 YEARS OLD, SHE WAS 3 MONTHS. WE JUST GOT MARRIED ON SEPT 21,2010. WE WERE DRIVING FROM ATLANTA BECAUSE WE HAD JUST GOT A NEW HOUSE THERE. ALL YOU GOT WAS A TICKET AND A SAFE ANIMAL. OH HECK NO. TWO TRUCKS ROLLED OVER MY HUSBAND AND YOU HAVE A TICKET. THOSE SEMI TRUCKS WENT SO FAST AND HE WAS HIT SO HARD THAT HE WAS LAYING OUT THERE NAKED. I THANK THE TRUCKS FOR SWERVING OFF THE ROAD TO AVOID HITTING US. YOU DID SPARE US OUR LIVES. I JUST WANT MY HUSBAND BACK. THANK YOU FOR THE OTHER COMMENTS. OUR FAMILY REALLY APPRECIATES THAT.

MICHELLE S JONES AND ZION JONES. WIFE AND DAUGHTER.

David Crabill wrote on October 05, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Michelle, you probably don't remember me, but I was the person that was with you right after the accident. Nothing can express how sorry I am for you and your families loss. I wish there was something that I could have done to help. For anyone reading this, this was a tragic and definitely avoidable accident that should have never happened. I'm all for animals, but not at the price of a husband and father or any other person for that matter. Please people pay attention to the road so that tragedies like this can be avoided.

dcrabill@siu.edu

MICHELLE S JONES wrote on October 06, 2010 at 4:10 am

WOW. YES I DO REMEMBER YOU DAVID. WOW. YOU MUST BE DAVID OUT OF THE BIBLE. (SMILE) I WANT TO THANK YOU SOOOOO SO MUCH FOR ALL THAT YOU DID FOR ME THAT NIGHT. I DON'T THINK YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE YOU. YOU WERE A PERFECT BLESSING. IF YOU WERE NOT THERE AT THAT MOMENT, I KNOW THAT I WOULD HAVE DID SOMETHING STUPID. WORDS CAN NEVER EXPLAIN HOW I FELT AND HOW I FEEL. I WAS SO OUT OF IT THAT I WOULD HAVE JUST SAT THERE UNTIL SOMEONE SNATCHED ME UP OFF THE GROUND. BUT DAVID, YOU WERE THERE. YOU HELPED ME AND MY BABY. I DO NOT KNOW FROM WHERE OR WHICH DIRECTION YOU CAME FROM, BUT YOU WERE THERE. YOU MADE SURE THAT ME AND OUR BABY WAS ALRIGHT. I THOUGHT THAT I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT BUT YOU KEPT ME ON MY FEET. WOW. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOU. I KNOW THAT MY HUSBAND APPRECIATED WHAT HERO YOU WERE TO HIS WIFE AND CHILD AS WELL. HE WAS A WONDERFUL MAN AND I KNOW THAT OUT OF EVERYTHING THAT HAD JUST HAPPENED, KNOWING THAT WE WERE OK AND THAT SOMEONE CAME TO OUR RESCUE, I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IT MADE HIM SMILE. AT THE END, MAYBE IT WAS JUST ME, BUT I DID NOT SEE YOU ANYMORE. I THOUGHT THAT GOD MUST OF SENT YOU DOWN FOR A SECOND, YOU DID THE BEST THING EVER AND HE MADE YOU VANISH JUST AS FAST AS YOU APPEARED. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU DAVE. YOU ARE OUR HERO. AND YOU DID MORE THAN HELP, YOU SAVED US EVEN FUTHER.

YOU BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

SINCERELY APPRECIATED
MICHELLE AND ZION JONES
RAHRAH21@HOTMAIL.COM

sahuoy wrote on October 06, 2010 at 6:10 am

My prayers are with you. Right now there are only simple answers, why did the driver swerve, wrong place, wrong time, etc. but knowing more by your comments you appear to believe there is more than what you see right now. I too believe there are many more good things to come to both of you. Things happen for reasons we often don't understand but by looking beyond what is now allows you to see into today and tomorrow and maybe see and find new and wondrous blessings brought to you after such a terrible accident. Maybe even perhaps with some better understanding of why. I do believe life has many more good things for you if you will accept them. God Bless you and your family.

MICHELLE S JONES wrote on October 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS AND CONDOLENCES. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THAT. MAY EVERYONE PLEASE BE CAREFUL ON THE ROAD. YOU NOT ONLY HAVE TO DRIVE FOR YOURSELF, YOU HAVE TO DRIVE FOR OTHERS AS WELL.

SINCERELY