Culver resigns, withdraws candidacy for Georgia job

CHAMPAIGN — Champaign school Superintendent Arthur Culver has resigned from his job, and he has also withdrawn his name from consideration for the superintendent job of the DeKalb County School System in metropolitan Atlanta, The News-Gazette has learned.

Culver submitted his resignation to the school board, saying he wants to pursue other opportunities and that he wants the district to be able to begin the search for a new superintendent immediately. His resignation is effective June 30.

The Champaign school board met in closed session for 45 minutes Monday night, to discuss several matters, including personnel. When the board reconvened in open session, it approved a personnel agreement with an unspecified employee.

Board President Dave Tomlinson would not comment on the agreement, saying he would hold a press conference this afternoon to discuss it.

But Culver confirmed he has tendered his resignation and withdrawn from consideration for the DeKalb County superintendent position.

“With everything that has occurred in the last several days, I felt it was in my best interest to withdraw,” Culver said of the Georgia job Monday night.

The two other finalists for the DeKalb County job, Decatur Superintendent Gloria Davis and Hickory, N.C., Superintendent Lillie Cox, have both also withdrawn from consideration.

The DeKalb County school district was in negotiations with Cox until this past weekend when she withdrew, citing exposure of the details of the negotiations as one of the reasons, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

According to the Atlanta paper, the DeKalb County interim superintendent, Ramona Tyson, may now be considered for the job.

Culver has been superintendent in Champaign since 2002, and he has three years remaining on his employment contract with the district.

Culver has said he’s ready to move on, and that he’s discussed that issue with the Champaign school board. He said the publicity from the DeKalb search made those plans public.

“I’ve accomplished what I came here to do. It’s really time for me to turn this district over to a new leader,” he said last week.

Sections (2):News, Local
Topics (1):Education
Categories (2):News, Education

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

sacrophyte wrote on April 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Wow.

Well, time to look for a new super. This will be fun.

Off the top of my head, here is what I am looking for (not in order of precedence, just as they roll of my fingers):

  • A leader who is known for working with others
  • Prefer someone local
  • One who has a reputation of seeking input and acting upon it
  • Someone who can absorb the many challenges being thrown at Unit 4 and can distill them to the root issues
  • Someone who can then act upon root issues in such a way that they not only direct the Administration, but that they also have the support of the community
  • Someone who encourages accountability from the Board of Education
Trailmom wrote on April 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm

So, he has three years remaining on his contract. Call me cynical, but I'll bet the deal worked out with the school board includes buying out a portion of that contract. Maybe he'll have time to finish the doctorate.

mantle74 wrote on April 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Maybe he'll take the "School of Choice" concept with him!!!!

IU1977 wrote on April 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

For the past two months there have been many rumors circulating through town concerning AAU BB, personal expenses over budget and administrators leaving the Mellon building in the middle of the week and the middle of the year with no reason given as to their leaving. I would hope that SOMEBODY finds out the REAL reason why someone would quit a 200k+ per year job with no other job offer in sight. The NG sadly has proven that unless it can deal with the UI AA and Neal Stoner, that it is more of a lap dog when it comes to these issues.

I also would hope that the new person coming in a) already has a Doctorate if that is what is required b) isnt paid 200+ a year/ I am sure that there are alot of people who would work for far less. c) the contract is for three years with one year extensions. No long term extensions like a previous board, on whom sat Mr. Culvers attorney, when they gave him a 5 yr extension as they walked out the door.

quincy2 wrote on April 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I've heard the board has been talking about wanting a new superintendent for months. Some of them talked about wanting him to go when they ran. Apparently the feeling is mutal from Culver. If there was a smoking gun, there would be more than rumors, and the NG would be on it. After so long, all superintendents get a board who doesn't like them. Check out the last few in Champaign. I heard he has an offer outside of education, but I don't really care, and the source wasn't any more reliable than these blogs. I just don't like seeing anyone accused of crimes with abolutely nothing to base it on other than speculation. By the way, school choice came in the late 90's. Culver came in 2002 to clean up the consent decree mess. Good luck to him.Obviously, some are happy about his departure, but the U4 principals that I know aren't happy about his resignation.

kmy wrote on April 27, 2011 at 12:04 am

Sooooo, what did they say at the news conference?

sacrophyte wrote on April 27, 2011 at 7:04 am