Dayglow promoter wants return to Danville and event on UI campus

Dayglow promoter wants return to Danville and event on UI campus

DANVILLE — A promoter of last weekend's Dayglow concert that was relocated to Danville wants to bring the event back next semester but wants a second showing of "America's Largest Paint Party" to be on the University of Iliinois campus.

Concert promoter Matt Meyer said he and the organizers would have rather held Saturday night's sold-out event on the UI campus as originally planned. But he said it went well despite the extra efforts to relocate the show, and its 4,000-plus ticket holders, about 30 miles east to the David S. Palmer Arena in Danville.

Danville's Director of Public Safety Larry Thomason said there were some medical calls, one arrest and several tickets issued for ordinance violations, but overall, the officer in charge of Saturday night's detail said everything went pretty well.

Dayglow concerts are held nationwide and combine deejay-spun dance music and paint into one event with cannons that shoot the famous "paint blast" into the audience during the show.

"We worked through it," said Meyer, referring to the "curve balls" thrown at him and his business partner, Zach Samson, while planning the event.

The first curve ball came several weeks ago, when Urbana denied an event permit, and organizers announced Dayglow would be moved from an outdoor location at Lincoln Square Shopping Center in Urbana to the arena in Danville. Urbana officials had several concerns with the event, including not having enough police officers because the city was already staffing a UI home football game. Plans called for the sale of alcohol if Dayglow were held in Urbana, but no alcohol was sold at the arena Saturday night.

Peter Blackmon, general manager of the arena, said the majority of the cleanup was done by 5 a.m. Sunday, and there were no surprises. Most of the washable paint was on the arena floor, which was covered with plastic.

"All in all, it turned out well," Blackmon said.

In response to the venue change, promoters had arranged for free transportation to Danville and hired Starr Limousine in Champaign to coordinate school buses and limousines to pick up ticket holders in Urbana and drive them to the arena and back.

Considering the number of people wanting transportation, Meyer said it went well.

But organizers were surprised when state police showed up Saturday to inspect and test the school buses and check documentation of the drivers before students began boarding. Meyer said they had to comply with the state police, and several drivers who did not have their Illinois Department of Transportation medical card on them were unable to drive.

One of those drivers was Judy Spencer, who's a school bus driver for Illinois Central school bus company. She said the inspection by state police slowed down the schedule for picking up the ticket holders and reduced the number of buses, because some drivers were grounded. She said bus company officials scrambled to get backup drivers.

"We just wanted to do our jobs and keep the kids safe," said Spencer, who added that it didn't make sense for state police to ground buses, which were going to be a safe source of transportation.

Meyer called it a "minor thing" and said there were no other issues with transportation.

As a result, he said they ran the buses later than planned, and they even allowed some students on the buses without bus tickets. To board the buses, ticket holders were required to pick up free bus tickets in advance. But Meyer said some students took extra bus tickets, and the supply ran out, so promoters had to order 300 additional bus tickets and made them available for $10 each. Meyer said about 190 of those were picked up.

As a whole, Meyer said the event was very successful, it was sold out at 4,535 tickets, and students enjoyed themselves. He said private security, and police, which included some undercover officers, and others working the show made it a good event at the arena.

Thomason, Danville's safety director, said six people were taken to local medical facilities during the event. One person was arrested for possession of a controlled substance, he said, and several others were issued notices for city ordinance violations. The violations included one for possession of alcohol by a minor, one for battery and eight for consumption of alcohol by a minor.

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments