Car hits CVS in Champaign; child injured

UPDATED 12:55 p.m. Saturday

CHAMPAIGN — A car ran into the front window of the CVS store at Green and Neil streets in Champaign shortly before noon on Saturday.

A child inside the store was hit and taken by ambulance to a hospital. The child was awake and responsive.

According to Champaign police spokeswoman Rene Dunn, Emma L. Shelton, 88, put her car into drive when she intended to put it in reverse, and drove into the glass-enclosed entrance to the building.

The 3-year-old child was hit by the car and pieces of the safety glass from the store window, Dunn said, and was taken to Carle Hospital in Urbana. The hospital had no information available on the child.

No tickets were issued, she said, because the building is on private property.

Sections (2):News, Local
Tags (2):Accident, CVS

Comments

areader wrote on December 03, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Concentrating while driving is important!

fortherecord wrote on December 03, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Not driving @ 88 is even more important.

areader wrote on December 03, 2011 at 5:12 pm

You are absolutely RIGHT!  I agree 100%  Sadly, elderly drivers keep driving until they're in a extremely serious accident . . . I know that for a fact.

tammier wrote on December 03, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I hope the kid is okay.  I was there ten minutes after it happened and didn't realize someone was hurt. Is there an update on the kid's injuries?

mankind wrote on December 04, 2011 at 1:12 am

Give me a nickel for every time a senior citizen drives through a store front and I'll fly them all to CVS in a golden helicopter. Drug stores should put barricades by front windows. Sure hope that poor child is okay.

bookworm wrote on December 04, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Why can't they issue a ticket?!  If someone robbed the store, the police would certainly respond.  All businesses are on private property except for the UI research park.  I can't believe there's no accountability here.  I certainly hope the child is fine -- and Ms Shelton has insurance so the family isn't stuck with any medical bills.