80-year-old attack victim gives account of ordeal

80-year-old attack victim gives account of ordeal

URBANA — Hands tied behind her back with old telephone wire and barricaded in a closet in her Urbana home, a 79-year-old woman found a pair of scissors among the suitcase, box and other items stored in the closet.

And she sawed away, accidentally scratching herself in the process, until she managed to cut through the wire.

Once free, she was able to stand and turn on the light. But a cabinet, filled with old records and pushed in front of the closet door, prevented her from getting out. And because she was in a room in the back of her home, she did not scream because she didn't think anyone could hear her. Using her arms and her back, and scooting around on the closet floor, she tried to bang her way out of the closet, but could not. That was on Friday evening, Jan. 21.

Sixty-six hours after a stranger came to her door and robbed her of some jewelry and cash, a mail carrier noticed things were amiss at the house and police were notified. And in the early afternoon of Monday, Jan. 24, the woman was set free from the closet.

Now 80 years old, the victim testified Tuesday in Champaign County Circuit Court before Judge Heidi Ladd as a witness for the state in its case against Steven E. Taylor, who listed an address on the 1300 block of East Michigan Avenue, Urbana.

Taylor is charged with home invasion, armed robbery and aggravated criminal sexual abuse. His attorney is Alfred Ivy.

In March, police arrested Taylor in Urbana after the Illinois State Police forensic science laboratory in Springfield matched his DNA to samples taken from the woman's body after she was rescued.

In his opening statement to the jury, Assistant State's Attorney Troy Lozar described the victim, who has lived alone in recent years following the death of her husband, as a "remarkably ... strong woman."

"This case is foremost about survival," Lozar said.

The woman testified she was at her home on the 1500 block of Fairlawn Drive, Urbana, on that Friday evening when a man knocked on her door. She answered it.

"He said, 'My name is Steve' and he was looking for someone named Jack Brown," she said.

She said she didn't know anyone by that name and turned away from the door. She told the jury he came inside and asked for money. She gave him several $1 bills, but then he asked for her jewelry.

"I was not going to fight with him. He had the weapon, I didn't," the woman said. She described seeing a shiny blade about 4 inches long, but not a handle.

In one of the bedrooms, he ordered her to strip, she testified, and she took off most of her clothes. The man then rubbed part of his body against her chest. Later she was able to start getting dressed again and realized she had a cell phone. She told jurors she tried to hide it from the intruder before he put her in the closet, but when he saw the phone, he hit her on the left side of the face.

Asked if she could identify the person who came to her house that night, the witness said she would not be able to do so.

"I don't think I could identify him. ... He had a hood up over his face. I didn't get a good look at him," she said.

Also testifying on Tuesday was mail carrier Darryl Dague who said when he delivered mail to her house on Monday, Jan. 24, he noticed the woman's mail had not been picked up, which was unusual, he said, because she always picked up her mail. Plus, the door was not shut all the way. He called his supervisor, and within a few minutes, Urbana police came to the house.

Urbana police Officer Kurt Buckley described finding the house in disarray and hearing a female voice cry out, "I'm in here! I'm in here!"

"We ran to sound of the voice," he said. He and another officer moved the cabinet and were able to free her from the closet.

The trial is expected to continue today in Champaign County Circuit Court.


News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

Heather J. wrote on December 07, 2011 at 8:12 am

I'm so happy that this woman was found and she is safe. It's so sad that she ever had to have something so awful happen to her. I'm thankful for the observant mailman who saved her life. I think it's wonderful that this sick, coward was caught and I pray that he will serve a lengthy term in prison. Any person who preys on the vulnerable like that deserves a lot worse, but I suppose prison will have to do for this sick, jerk. 

mankind wrote on December 07, 2011 at 8:12 am

I think the News-Gazette should remove the victim's name from the article. I always thought there was a policy against printing the names of sexual abuse victims. You didn't learn her story because she agreed to be interviewed. She was testifying in court.

james33 wrote on December 07, 2011 at 8:12 am

I agree! When this story first made headlines back in January, Mike Howie and John O'conner were so deffensive on protecting the identity of the perpatrator. The story said a man with gloves and a hood but wouldn't  give anything else. There was a comment  that gave the thugs race as being black but both Mike and John said it wasn't nessecary to give the race. They would a say a "MAN" with gloves and a hood. It's OK to give the victims full name?

mankind wrote on December 07, 2011 at 9:12 am

Yes, and that issue of the perpetrator aside, it is just incredibly callous and insensitive journalism to print the victim's name along with such a graphic depiction of what happened to her. Someone must be asleep at the switch. The N-G is typically careful about this kind of thing.  

Dan Corkery wrote on December 07, 2011 at 12:12 pm
Profile Picture

Dear readers,

You are right, and I am wrong. We violated our policy on naming victims of sex-related crimes. As the person who edited the story, I am at fault. Nothing intentional; just a lapse in judgment on my part.

I have re-edited the online story.

My apologies.

Dan Corkery

managing editor

The News-Gazette

Kel103 wrote on December 07, 2011 at 10:12 am

I agree.  This story should be taken down.  The graphic detail of it is upsetting.  And as stated earlier, the victim didn't sit down for an interview- she was giving court testimony. 

My grandparents are 80, and their daughter is a journalist who has mentioned them positively in her columns- and they were mortified.  I'm sure this poor woman feels the same- especially because it was such a traumatic event. 

MadGasser wrote on December 08, 2011 at 8:12 am
Profile Picture

Reading articles about crimes is going to be disturbing sometimes. I suggest you no longer read such articles if you're sensitive to this sort of thing. As a citizen of Urbana I feel it is the newspaper's job to alert residents to what is happening in the community.

Fromthearea wrote on December 07, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I agree.  I hope you consented with the woman and her family before you ran this.  Otherwise it would be extremely insensitive in my opinion.  She may have grandchildren in the area.  This would be disturbing to read, and kids are mean.