Champaign police say they have linked three men to additional burglaries

Champaign police say they have linked three men to additional burglaries

CHAMPAIGN — Champaign police say they have linked three men arrested a week ago for residential burglary to a dozen or more other burglaries.

Martin Davis, 17, who listed an address in the 400 block of West Beardsley Avenue, Champaign, and two other male teens appeared in court on Dec. 8, accused of breaking into a home in the 700 block of North Prairie Street, Champaign, about 3 p.m. Dec. 7.

Assistant State's Attorney Duke Harris said a witness saw three teens break a window in the back of the house. Once inside, they ransacked it and took several electronic items, including a camera and a remote control.

Champaign police spokeswoman Rene Dunn said police searched the neighborhood, found the three teens, ran after them and arrested them.

Coins, a computer, electronic items, a television and other stolen items were recovered, either on the three teens or in areas near the burglarized home, Dunn said.

Last week, Judge Richard Klaus set bond for Davis at $5,000 and ordered him to be back in court Jan. 17.

Judge Heidi Ladd found it was a matter of urgent and immediate necessity to hold the other boys, ages 15 and 16, in detention until a court hearing this week.

If convicted of the residential burglary, Martin faces a mandatory prison term of between four and 15 years.

The juveniles, if convicted, cannot be held past their 21st birthday.

On Wednesday, Dunn announced that police detectives have received additional information indicating the three teens may have been involved in a dozen or more other reported burglaries.

Dunn said police searched a home in the 1500 block of Thornton Drive and recovered a stolen shotgun.

Dunn said police are not saying, at this time, how they believe the three teens may have been involved in the additional burglaries.

"This information was obtained through the course of our investigation," Dunn said on Wednesday night. "That's all we're disclosing at this time due to this still being an open and unsolved case."

Police Lt. Joe Gallo said in a written release: "As we continue with our investigation, it is very possible that more burglaries may be solved. We're following up on every lead and remaining in contact with the victims."

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

natebaux wrote on December 15, 2011 at 3:12 am

great job guys!!

alert citizens, and fast footed officers made for great combo.

how would you like to have one of those Iron Men chasing you down?

im not trying to give video games a bad name, but things are getting a little too GTA around here. is crime the new baseball?

natebaux wrote on December 16, 2011 at 12:12 am

you guys have all kinds of things to say where pepper spray is concerned.

how about balancing things out and giving these guys credit once in a while?

 

imo, the citizen that called deserves a crime stoppers reward. how many other burgals were these guys involved in?