Elevator belt or motor caused smoke at Hendrick House

Elevator belt or motor caused smoke at Hendrick House

URBANA — A defective belt or motor on an elevator caused a lot of smoke but no fire in an Urbana dormitory Friday morning.

Urbana firefighters were called to the Hendrick House, 904 W. Green St., shortly after 9 a.m.

Chief Mike Dilley characterized the call as a "kind of a minor incident that generated quite a bit of smoke."

"We had difficulty trying to trace down where it was because it dumped smoke in corridors on the sixth floor," he said. "There was really no fire at all, just a burned belt that generated a lot of smoke."

The elevator stopped and a circuit breaker had tripped.

"We evacuated the building because we didn't know what it and because we had smoke on the living floors and didn't want to take any chances," Dilley said.

Firefighters cleared the scene by 10:30 a.m. and Hendrick House employees have called for repair. The problem was in a single elevator car on the east side of the high-rise, Dilley said.

Dilley said Hendrick House routinely allows his firefighters to train there and officials at the dormitory had already started the orderly evacuation of its residents to the Illinois Street Residence halls by the time firefighters got there.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

fortherecord wrote on March 02, 2012 at 11:03 am

"Called the elevator repair people" -haha!