Grease fire displaces family from Champaign apartment

Grease fire displaces family from Champaign apartment

CHAMPAIGN — A grease fire Saturday afternoon that got out of control at a west Champaign apartment has temporarily displaced a family.

Lt. Todd Walters said firefighters were called to 1527 Lincolnshire Drive at 3:36 p.m. to snuff a grease fire. When firefighters got inside the building, they realized the fire had extended into the floor and the walls of the third-floor unit.

A woman frying french fries tried to put out the fire with water, Walters said. She and her daughter got out safely. Firefighters evacuated the other apartments in the 12-unit building while they worked to contain the fire.

Walters said the fire was under control in about 45 minutes but firefighters remained there until just after 6 p.m. and investigators were there even longer.

Walters described the damage as "significant" and said that apartment and the one below it, which sustained water damage, will be uninhabitable for awhile.

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

ronaldo wrote on March 03, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Where was the apartment?