Hogan sends message of regret, says he will work to rebuild trust

Hogan sends message of regret, says he will work to rebuild trust

URBANA — University of Illinois President Michael Hogan said he regrets the breakdown in shared governance at the university and he is committed to restoring trust and teamwork.

Hogan issued a statement to the university community today.

"I will redouble my efforts to better communicate with all stakeholders as we weigh new initiatives and policies. Indeed, I intend to set regular meetings across our campuses to expand face-to-face dialog. This is a great university, and I want to play an important role in rebuilding its reputation. The University of Illinois and all who teach, work and study here deserve the best, and I will do all I can to restore integrity and trust," he wrote.

On Monday, UI trustees called an emergency meeting in Chicago to discuss with Hogan, behind closed doors, recent events. Last month, more than 100 faculty members called for Hogan to step down after an outside investigation found his chief of staff, Lisa Troyer, likely wrote anonymous emails intended to encourage faculty to support a Hogan-backed enrollment initiative. She resigned but denied writing the emails. Faculty also criticized Hogan's leadership style.

After the meeting on Monday, board chairman Christopher Kennedy said the board told President Hogan the university "needed our people to change, or we needed change in our people." Trustees asked the president to identify specific actions he can take to regain faculty trust. He added time will tell if Hogan can rebuild trust with the university's faculty.

"I want the entire University community to know that I regret that this failure occurred," Hogan said in his statement. "I take the board's thoughtful and candid advice very seriously, and I am committed to restoring the trust and teamwork that will help us achieve the goals that we all share."

Text of Hogan's message

Here is the full text of the message, which is titled "Restoring trust, achieving our goals":

This week, I had a long and productive meeting with our Board of Trustees to examine my role in the breakdown of the shared governance system that is so critical in guiding our great University.

I want the entire University community to know that I regret that this failure occurred, I take the Board's thoughtful and candid advice very seriously, and I am committed to restoring the trust and teamwork that will help us achieve the goals that we all share.

I came to this University at a very challenging time -- on the heels of a public and protracted controversy around questionable admission and enrollment practices, 17 major leadership vacancies, and at a time of great fiscal constraint with no salary increases. A new Board rightly demanded reform, and my mandates have been clear from the beginning -- make the University more efficient and effective, be a rigorous steward of the precious resources we have, and recruit and retain the very best talent in the country.

Collectively, we can be proud of our progress in all areas. Among them, an exceptionally talented leadership team on the campuses and University administration is being put in place. We have strategically reallocated funding to key mission areas, which has allowed us to recruit and rebuild faculty ranks. We've had the first general compensation package in three years and avoided furlough days, and our government relations efforts have strongly and effectively advocated our interests in Springfield and Washington, D.C.

Disagreements have at times obscured our successes. While all sides agree on our missions, there has been discord over the best way to achieve our common goals.

I will redouble my efforts to better communicate with all stakeholders as we weigh new initiatives and policies. Indeed, I intend to set regular meetings across our campuses to expand face-to-face dialog. This is a great University, and I want to play an important role in rebuilding its reputation. The University of Illinois and all who teach, work and study here deserve the best, and I will do all I can to restore integrity and trust.

The contributions and dedication of the faculty and staff have made the University of Illinois a world leader in education and innovation. Working together, I am confident that we can ensure that our best days are still to come.

Mike Hogan
President
University of Illinois

Comments

CharacterCounts wrote on March 08, 2012 at 11:03 am

A question regarding the problems between Urbana-Champaign faculty and the president.

Is the issue the president trying to allow any student accepted to the UI to attend any of the three campuses with no recognition being the UC campus is considered the highest academically?

To a person not connected to the university, it appears the president is trying to lower the standards of the UC campus and raise the standards for the Chicago and Springfield campuses.

Considering the make up of the current board and the actions they have taken and the actions of the past three presidents, there appears to be efforts to move administrative functions from the UC campus to the Chicago campus.  I believe the university counsel now has his office in Chicago as that is where he lives.  There is a university counsel office on the UC campus, but the counsel himself is now located in Chicago.  I believe there may be other officials who now make their primary office in Chicago rather than on the Urbana-Champaign campus.  Can anyone clarify this information?

It seems strange the Chicago and Springfield faculty members seem happy or satisfied with the board and the president.  It seems they will benefit if the functions or part of the functions of the main campus can be moved from Urbana-Champaign to Chicago.  One admission standard would also benefit Chicago andSpringfield.  Essentially, degrade the Urbana-Champaign campus and hope more financial resources are put into Chicago and Springfield.

Any input on clarification on the main issues between the Urbana-Champaign faculty and the president would be appreciated.  I may be missing or misunderstanding the goals of the president and the board.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 08, 2012 at 12:03 pm

As I read Dr. Hogan's statements, a question continued to occur.  "Would you buy a used car from that man?"  It took the faculty's petition to cause the Board of Trustees to convene in an emergency session.  It took the Board of Trustees to reprimand the university president.  It took independent investigations to point out unethical conduct by Dr. Troyer; not Dr. Hogan.  Dr. Hogan brought Dr. Troyer with him at a very good salary with tenure.  She still has a job after the investigations.  Dr. Hogan has the authority to dismiss her; but he has not done so yet.  The governor has not voiced support for Dr. Hogan.  Now, Dr. Hogan indicates that he will communicate with campus units in a better fashion.  Has anything really changed?  Is Dr. Hogan creditable?  "Would you buy a used car from that man?"

UIUCHoopFan wrote on March 08, 2012 at 3:03 pm

No, I wouldn't buy a used car from this man.  His specialty appears to be selling his personal brand of recycled oats!

JDG613 wrote on March 08, 2012 at 1:03 pm

"The University of Illinois and all who teach, work and study here deserve the best..."

This statement is the bedrock of this entire issue.  It is likely that all those of us who have attended, supported, or in any way been involved with the University of Illinois would unanimously agree wholeheartedly with this statement, and this premise for the future of this University.  The question is whether or not Mr. Hogan fits into that category.

The jury's still out on that question...but it would seem that in the near future, there is likely to be no uncertainty on the answer.

Steve1us wrote on March 08, 2012 at 1:03 pm

dialog?

Ceryle Alcyon wrote on March 08, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Yeah, right.  Whatever.  I'll accept his apology as sincere and not a less-than-subtle attempt to save his job as soon as I've done the same for Rush Limbaugh's.  Which is never.

It's not clear to me that Joseph White had anything, really, to do with the UI admissions scandal, but he did the right thing by taking full responsibility for what happened on his watch and then promptly resigning.  Had this guy any integrity, he'd do the same.  Although considering that a nationwide search for his replacement would probably be kind of expensive, perhaps it's not as clearly an option as it was the first time this happened.

I agree with a previous commenter: as the heart and soul of this campus, the faculty--and the rest of us--staff and students alike--clearly deserve better.

Lostinspace wrote on March 08, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Nice sentiment, but empty of substance, like all of his mass mailings.  How about starting by saying that administrators will not intrude in faculty committees (no Troyer on the committee, no problem)?  Or a pledge that future administrative searches will be open and transparent, with full participation by concerned sectors, instead of smoke-filled-room dealings run through "consultants"? Or an external audit to make certain that responsible decisions are being made?

Lostinspace wrote on March 08, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Mike brought along his friend Troyer

Who wished to help out her employer

But the e-mail she said

Raised a storm of dissent

I hope she has found a good loyer

UIUCHoopFan wrote on March 08, 2012 at 3:03 pm

DING DING DING

We have a WINNER !!!!!

Better Illinois wrote on March 08, 2012 at 4:03 pm

The U of I faculty have made it clear that any trust they had in Hogan is gone! He can no longer effectively lead the university, and no level of work can repair a severed relationship.

It's time that we get rid of both Hogan and Troyer. They have embarrassed the U of I, devalued the degrees of all students and alumni, and should not be associated with our great university any longer!

Students for a Better Illinois, with the support of several other campus organizations, is holding a demonstration this Monday (the 12th) at 11:45AM on the Quad to demand that Hogan and Troyer be removed. If you're tired of the scandal and corruption by Hogan and Troyer, help us send a strong message to the Board of Trustees and force them to act!

~Students for a Better Illinois

Registered Student Organization | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 09, 2012 at 11:03 am

Better Illinois;  You have changed my cynical view of today's students.  I must admit that I misjudged the current student body.  Your demonstration will help maintain attention on this recent scandal.  Thank you for standing up; and leaning forward.  I hope that your organization has a good turn out including faculty, civil service employees, alumni, and concerned public.

Better Illinois wrote on March 09, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Sid: I have read several of your posts on other articles, and I think that, to a point, your view of the student body is accurate and well-founded. Unfortunately, despite widespread coverage by the DI and News Gazette, most students are still in the dark on the severity of the whole Troyer/Hogan situation or are not motivated to do anything about it. Be assured, however, that there are students who are aware and are determined to speak out on issues like this. We strive to mobilize the student body to become more active in university affairs.

As you alluded to, we hope this demonstration will keep this scandal from being swept under the rug. It's time to stop this cycle of scandal and embarrassement, and it will take a combined effort from students, faculty, employees, alumni, and members of the public. Feel free to promote the demonstration to any friends or concerned citizens who would be interested.

~Students for a Better Illinois

hyena wrote on March 09, 2012 at 4:03 am

"this failure occurred"

"Disagreements have at times obscured"

"there has been discord"

Use of the third-person to describe the events tells me that President Hogan regrets them the way one might regret that it is raining. I still don't hear him take any personal responsibility in the matter.

No trust here.

sgraham48 wrote on March 09, 2012 at 6:03 am

I feel a really good, "Gee, I need to retire because I want to spend more time with my family" coming on.  Good decision.

Keith Hays wrote on March 09, 2012 at 8:03 am

I think that the basic question that is posed by the controversy is whether there is one University of Illinois or are there three?  Is the University of Illinois  evolving into a system of independent Universities rather than one institution with three campus locations?

Better Illinois wrote on March 09, 2012 at 12:03 pm