Ron Paul event moved to Huff Hall

CHAMPAIGN — Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul's Wednesday evening appearance at the University of Illinois has been moved from Foellinger Auditorium to Huff Hall because there weren't enough seats at Foellinger to accommodate people expected to attend.

Phil Bloomer, a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson, who is a Ron Paul supporter, said the event is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday at Huff Hall, 1206 S. Fourth St., C.

Doors are scheduled to open at 6 p.m.

According to Bloomer, Johnson is scheduled to introduce the presidential candidate, who will then lead a town hall meeting.

"Hopefully there will be time for questions from the audience," Bloomer said.

Bloomer said the site was changed from Foellinger to Huff because all 1,500 seats at Foellinger were claimed within hours on Sunday night.

Since Huff Hall has a seating capacity of about 4,500, Bloomer said tickets would not be needed for the event.

"I am honored to call Ron Paul my colleague and most importantly my friend," Johnson said in a written statement.

"I have always admired Rep. Paul, but my respect for this great man's leadership grows more all the time. He is one of the most principled men I have ever met. Whether it be advocating for troop withdrawal, reducing the reach of our government or reforming the tax code and our health care system, Ron Paul has been unwavering and an ideological champion for all of us. The Ron Paul revolution has indeed taken hold in this country, and I am proud to be able to stand together with this great American at my alma mater, the University of Illinois."

Comments

Mqqneyes wrote on March 13, 2012 at 6:03 am

Hey Phil, hows about you have this event in a place that is not covered by our tax dollars. All of these canidates want to complain about taxes taxes taxes and then they have events at places that would not be availible if not for tax dollars. Here is an idea, maybe he should have his event at Taffies or maybe out on your farm.

Tutone wrote on March 13, 2012 at 6:03 am

how about tax dollars NOT supporting Bill Ayers, a self admitted communist who help blow up federal buildings?

ronaldo wrote on March 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

Your logic may hold some water in an adolescent textbook utopian illustration .  Unfortunate to the cause of advancing weak minds, many Ron Paul backers have financially supported Huff Hall via taxes and quite frankly, they own it too.

Did you make that one up on your own?  Wow.

Mark Taylor wrote on March 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

That's right. I once paid sales tax on a candy bar I bought so I own all the university buildings and the over educated professors work for me. Paul should have the right to appear at Memorial Stadium because some of his backers paid taxes in Illinois. All the university cops and stadium workers are the personal employees of each of his supporters so I don't want to hear any liberal whining about using state resources to advance a presidential campaign either.

ronaldo wrote on March 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I haven't bothered responding to your posts because they never seem to make much sense to begin with, and this one is no different. What on earth are you talking about?  I accept the fact that about 50% of all your posts are in response to mine and I gather that they're in disagreement, but come on, make some sense.  You're all over the road with this one.  Focus your attention, gather your thoughts and clarify your point.  It's not that difficult.

Mark Taylor wrote on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I'm agreeing with you that taxpayers ARE SOVEREIGN. Although I don't support Ron Paul and don't even think he's a REAL Republican with his foreign policy, he does have a right to use Huff.

MissM wrote on March 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

It is extremely common practice for Universities to make their facilities available to political candidates. The candidate's campaign will pay the University a rental fee for use of the facility.

Last Bastion wrote on March 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

With such a dissociation between the GOP presidential candidates' rally attendance and their vote getting, good thing there's ronpaulitic.com - the only worldwide, realtime Ron Paul geo-tag map on the web.

jdmac44 wrote on March 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

The reasoning is, you are taxed for X, you should benefit from X.  The ideal is to stop being taxed for X so that you can choose how you want to use your money.  Furthermore, Ron Paul is against federal income tax, he hasn't said anything about state.  There aren't any federal facilities around here to use and yet we're taxed far more by the federal government.  It's the same with earmarks, people give him flak for taking earmarks, well of course!  The people of his district paid for them, they should get it back!  He wants to stop the taxation that makes it necessary to fight to get the benefit of the money back and the power to spend it as they choose.  This is the problem with our system, no one really takes any time to learn about candidates, they just take what the media and their favorite pundits spoon feed them.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

Whatever your views; Ron Paul is the only candidate to visit Champaign County so far.  I would imagine that the students are the reason for the visit.  Mitt Romney could rent the Assembly Hall; but I doubt that he sees the benefit of doing so.  Whether you agree with Ron Paul's Libertarian views, or not; he is the only current candidate to visit here.  It would have been great if a debate with the candidates could have been arranged during Spring Break since Illinois has relevency in the delegate count this year.  The local merchants, hotels, restaurants, bars, and etc. could have benefited from the trailing media, and assorted camp followers.  The Board of Trustees may have even came to town with the governor, legislators, Civic Federation, Illinois Policy Institute, and hookers.  It could have been labeled the UnOfficial Great Debate.

Mark Taylor wrote on March 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

That's right. We need to uphold the tenth amendment and repeal the sixteenth.  But most importantly, we need to repeal the seventeen amendment -- the founding fathers knew that too much democracy is never a good thing!

ronaldo wrote on March 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

We're a democratic republic (or representative republic), not a democracy.  In case you forgot, there's a HUGE difference.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

ronaldo; Mark Taylor is playing Steven Colbert.  Don't take him serious.

ronaldo wrote on March 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thanks for clearing that up Sid.  I just wish I knew what his views were.

Mark Taylor wrote on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I've told you before, I'm not "playing" any such thing. All of my views are my own but their also inline with the REAL Republican Party, as led by the TEA Party. None of my views are jextremist and all have also been espoused by major figures in the conservative Republican movement and/or Republican politicians, including our nominees (such as they are). You can go through all of my comments and you'll see that they are inline with a majority or REAL CONCEERVATIVES and Republicans (though not the rhinos, I'll give you that).

Mark Taylor wrote on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Right. Which is why REAL CONSERVATIVES should support repeal of the seventeenth amendment.

Delta Dawn wrote on March 16, 2012 at 4:03 am

I find some of the comments funny. To the one who actually believes this country is a republic anymore is either blind or has been listen to the news far to long. As Benjamin Franklin said a republic, if you can keep it. This country has slowly become a democracy and democracy always fail. This government has gotten to big and has passed way to many unconstitutional laws. In my opinion we have lost sight of what a real  conservative is. A real  conservative believes in the constitution whole heartly and even though conservative believe in defending our country in no way do we believe in going to war without getting congress approval as in our constitution. We dont believe going to war on a whim without proof that their is a threat to our nation. Thats where some get Ron Paul wrong they think he is weak in his  foreign policy which is wrong. Its not that Ron Paul doesnt believe in defending our country he just believe we should follow the constitution and go through congress. Our country is acting more like a big empire which history has showed that always crumble. Ron Paul is more of a conserative then all the others because he believes in following the whole constitution unlike the others presidential candidates that just pick and choice the parts of the constitution that benfits them and walks all over rest.