No injuries in Urbana kitchen fire

No injuries in Urbana kitchen fire

URBANA — Nobody was reported hurt in a kitchen fire at an Urbana apartment Thursday afternoon.

According to a fire department report, Urbana firefighters were called to an apartment building at 2409 Prairie Green Drive at 4:24 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived four minutes later, they found a fire on the stove in a second-floor apartment. The apartment was also full of smoke.

Urbana Fire Chief Mike Dilley said the fire was caused by unattended food on the stove. It was quickly extinguished.

Dilley estimated damage to the apartment at $20,000.

"The apartment will no longer be able to be inhabited," Dilley said. "We want to remind people it is best not to leave food unattended on the stove."

Dilley said a man who lived in the apartment called in the fire and escaped unharmed.

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments