Firefighters believe burning candle caused house fire in rural Homer

Firefighters believe burning candle caused house fire in rural Homer

HOMER — Firefighters believe that a burning candle caused a fire that resulted in an estimated $15,000 damage to a rural Homer home on Wednesday night.

Homer Fire Chief Don Happ said that firefighters were called to a fire at 752 County Road 2700 E south of Homer at 8:36 p.m. Wednesday.

When they arrived a few minutes later, Happ said firefighters saw smoke coming from the eaves and from a second-floor bedroom on the north side of the two-story house.

Homer firefighters received mutual aid assistance from the Ogden-Royal, St. Joseph-Stanton and Sidney fire departments, along with Pro Ambulance.

Three people inside the home escaped unharmed, according to Happ. No firefighters were hurt.

Firefighters put a ladder on the north side of the home and climbed to the second-floor bedroom to put out the fire. Happ estimated the fire was under control by 9 p.m. but they remained until about 10:30 p.m.

"It took quite a while to get all the smoke out of the house," said Happ.

"It looks like a burning candle in the bedroom started the fire," Happ said.

Happ estimated total damage at $15,000, mostly to the bedroom and its contents.

 

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments