UPDATED 8:55 p.m. Wednesday
CHAMPAIGN — Residents from 34 homes on Champaign’s north side have returned to their homes following the repair of a gas main on Wednesday night.
According to a Champaign Fire Department report, firefighters and Champaign police were called to a reported gas leak in the area of Winding Lane and Arcadia Drive at 4:14 p.m. Wednesday.
Ameren Illinois spokesman Leigh Morris said that a contractor had bored through a gas main.
While Ameren began work at that site, Champaign firefighters and police evacuated 34 homes in the area of the reported gas leak.
At 5:30 p.m., an Ameren supervisor on the scene estimated it would take three hours to isolate the gas leak, but crews were able to isolate it by 6:45 p.m.
At 7 p.m., the Champaign Fire Department and Ameren declared the area safe for occupants to return to their homes.
While firefighters and police left the scene at 7:05 p.m., Ameren crews remained on the scene to complete the repairs.
Morris said 17 customers lost gas service because of the accident.