Police to close roads for Daniels protests

CHAMPAIGN — A protest rally and march, planned for Thursday afternoon (April 19) at the University of Illinois Assembly Hall parking lots, has prompted Champaign police to announce road closures in the area from between 5:15 and 7:15 p.m.

Thousands of labor union members, students, Democrats and retirees are expected to meet Thursday to protest an appearance by Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels at the Champaign County Republican Party's Lincoln Day Dinner at the Hilton Garden Inn Conference Center. Daniels recently signed into law a "right to work" bill.

Champaign police Wednesday issued a traffic advisory, saying the city will close Kirby Avenue east of Neil Street to Oak Street, and Oak Street between Kirby and St. Mary's Road.

The intersection of Neil and Kirby will be closed briefly for pedestrian crossings, said police, who urged motorists to avoid the area.

Message boards have been set up on Neil on the north and south side of Kirby to warn drivers of the closures.

"I would say we're going to have 3,000 to 5,000 people for this," said Larry Swope, executive director of the Illinois Pipe Trades Association. "But I wouldn't be surprised if there were more."

A stage will be set up in the southwest Assembly Hall parking lot, Swope said.

Demonstrators will begin gathering at 3 p.m., with speeches from 4 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. The march to the Hilton will follow soon after.

Speakers from several union groups in Illinois and Indiana are scheduled to participate, including Michael Carrigan, president of the Illinois AFL-CIO; Henry Bayer of AFSCME Council 31; and Indiana AFL-CIO Secretary Treasurer Joe Breedlove.

"So-called 'right to work' and other attacks on collective bargaining are all about politics," Carrigan said. "These bills won't create a single job. We're here to send a strong message to the politicians here at (the Lincoln Day dinner) that 'right to work' is wrong for Illinois. It is wrong for working people everywhere."

Comments

yates wrote on April 19, 2012 at 8:04 am

OK, so our local socialists are protesting an Indiana governor? This guy has zero chance of influencing the Chicago politics forced on downstate Illinois. Seems like they could find better ways of expressing their love for the nanny state then this.

cbrads334 wrote on April 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

If you've ever bothered to investigate any real news (NOT Fox entertainment channel), you would know that Mitch Daniels and his Indiana good ol' boys have sponsored a bill to withdraw from Medicare and Social Security.  Their intent is to give 'vouchers' in lieu of these two programs.  If you trust that a Wall Street investment will benevelently care for you in your old age, good luck.  I've got a bridge to sell you.

As for 'socialists', do you even know what that word really means?  I doubt it.  Before labor unions, workshops had 12-hour workdays, extremely low pay, no protections of any kind for safety, etc.  Labor unions gave you EVERYTHING you now enjoy in the workplace, including sick and vacation days, and health insurance (UNLESS you work in a non-union shop).

The Republicans have not created any jobs (which is what their platform ran on in the last elections).  They have concentrated their efforts on regulating women's body parts, and destroying the American way of life (such as a right to Medicare and Social Security, which we individually PAY for out of our paychecks).  They have derided our teachers, firefighters, and police officers, who sacrifice greatly for us, by saying they are 'overpaid', while always crying that the elitist rich are paying too much in taxes.

Even locally, there are allegations within the GOP itself of ignoring whom the voters choose for candidates, and manipulating the system to choose their own fair-haired ilk as candidates.

No thanks, Republicans and Teabaggers.  You won't get my vote this next election.

killerut wrote on April 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

The key word in your argument is "Labor unions GAVE".  Yes, they were very beneficial in the past, but now they are just bloated, money grubbing organizations who will do anything they can to stay in power and keep stealing their workers money.

I fully support Mitch Daniels and his Right To Work legislation.  It's time for a change that benefits regular people, not the fatcats in the union shops.

BTW, your little icon is very apropos to your thinking.

Another fault in your argument is that Republicans ahave 'concentrated their efforts on regulation women's body parts".  Please, show me an example that isn't from the big media.  I've seen ZERO proof that they have done any such thing.  You say that Fox News is brainwashing americans, but it is you who have been brainwashed by the media.

At the rate this government is spending, Social Security and Medicare won't even exist when your ready to retire.  Granted, the markets do not look promising when thinking about your future retirement, but depending on a bloated, ever failing governemnt for your welfare after you retire is the 'poor planning'.

You should really own up to your own responsibilites and start planning for a future that isn't dependent on others to support you.

FYI - NONE of this came from Fox News.  I, personally, do not watch that channel, or any other channel.  I listen and think for myself.

Mark Taylor wrote on April 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

That's right. Unions are nothing more than communistical cadres bent on destroying America. We'd have been better of without them. Let the workers choose to work for - if a company doesn't give them fair market wages, they can get a job at McDonald's. Indianas economy is so much stronger an Illinois' because they have no unions coddling workers with "living wages" and pensions. And once we end the social security and Medicare ponzu schemes, well have a true economy where people have to work for what they get and companies can finally make a real profit.

And the "war on women" is false. It's about my religious liberty to not have an insurance company I pay money to paying for your contraception. Once we follow Santorum's advice and outlaw contraception by electing enough Republicans to state and national office, cit won't be an issue anyway.

VOTE FOR MORALITY! GOP in 2012!

sameeker wrote on April 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

I will expect Mark taylor to put his money where is mouth is and come work for me. I will determine the wages and working conditions. If you get hurt, you are on your own since you should have taken the responsibility to be safe. Don't count on any safety equipment or training either. I suppose next, you will want me to buy your lunch. As for retirement, it is your fault if you don't save part of the $4 an hour that I will pay you. Don't expect me to pay you after you are too old to make me any money.

Of course, I will need to become a repug since I will have money from my business. I need the lower tax rates on capital gaines. I also want the government to bail me out if I go under. You know how it works. SOCIALIZE my losses and privatize my profits. I also want them to get rid of those pesky regulations for me. I couldn't care less if I destroy the planet or ruin the health of the workers. I will be gone before any of this ever effects me. Get out of here now and quit tracking on the floor of my mansion. I have a bunch of CEOs coming over for a GOP fundraiser and I don't want to be embarassed by having a lowly worker seen in my house.

billbtri5 wrote on April 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

we dont want to create any more government jobs...

cbrads334 wrote on April 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

So you would take no jobs over government jobs?  Exactly what is it that you DON'T like?  Please explain.

Government workers are like any others.  The vast majority of them are dedicated employees who sacrifice themselves at times for YOUR benefit.

As I said to the previous commentor, you need to expose yourself to some REAL news sources, and get away from Fox News propaganda.  It's rotting your brain.

Zim wrote on April 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

No one brought up Fox News but you union people.

Zim wrote on April 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

If only Illinois was run as good as Ohio and Indiana. The unions are not for OUR benefit, they are for their own pocketbook and they are nothing but a front group for the democrat party. The head of the AFL_CIO is nothing but a socialist himself. There is nothing wrong with governement workers but the truth is they work for us. We pay the taxes to employee them. Sorry but they need to live like the rest of us and they might have to work for less.   You want collective bargaining? Ok let the taxpayers be part of that.

Sid Saltfork wrote on April 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

More union hating comments.  Unions brought the middle class into being.  Unions stopped the six day work week.  Unions brought health and safety into the workplace.  The list goes on, and on.  Those of you who did not, or do not hold union jobs always complain.  Your only being tools for big business.  Corporations still make money with union employees.  They just don't make the obsene profits that non-union labor provides.  Nothing is going to change your minds.  You will continue to defend the Koch brothers, and their talking heads like Daniels, Walker, and Christie.  Good luck with your no retirement jobs.  Me, I am sticking with the union.

localreader wrote on April 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Having worked union and non-union, I value my job.  I value that the union construction companies provide better safety equipment, workers compensation, and they classify their workers as hourly employees, rather than misclassifying them under 1099's.  The unions offer four-year training programs that are nationally recognized and the journeymen are offered ongoing trainings to keep them at top skill levels.  What people forget is that unions work today, and there are always new issues to be addressed; they check on safety measures, contact local government agencies if laws are not being adhered to, and advocate for workers.   Unions offer the ability for a tradesman to have a pension, just as office workers are able to contribute to their own pensions.  Union tradesmen are hardworking people who are skilled at what they do, and they build buildings for other people to work in, and they build with confidence.  Unions exist because people just like me and my husband are members.  Just as the United States of America is a union made up of a vast number of people, unions are also groups of organized people who want to be treated a certain way and speak up for those rights.

sameeker wrote on April 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

Well said. The unions actually invest in their members through extensive training. They are loath to lay off workers that they have invested so much time and money in. Some apprenticeship programs are five years long and include classromm training and on the job training. The safety and quality of work are unmatched. For the record, I am not in a union, but would like to be. I admire the work ethic, pride in a job well done, and the lifestyle provided by unions. I will not cross a union picket and was even written up on a job once because I refused to cross one.

shurstrike wrote on April 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Go home Daniels!  Down with balanced budgets!  We hate fiscal responsibility!

I find it most ironic that the state which is the absolute laughing stock and financial armpit of the entire nation has to bus in protesters to protest the Governor of one of the most fiscally solvent states.

787 wrote on April 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

It's odd that unions can never stand on their own merits.

They have to resort to intimidation of others (on full display here), or mob action.

And if they sense some sort of threat, even from something like "right to work" (*gasp*), they swarm like ants.

Competition from a "right" to work?

Wow.  How insecure can a group get?

Sid Saltfork wrote on April 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

There was no "intimidation".  There was no "mob action".  There was a turn out of the trades, and public service employees demonstrating their right to protest.  "Right to Work" allows shoddy workmanship.  It allows aliens to install the safety features such as electricity.  Hire "Right to Work" workers to rewire your house if you want.  Union members know their job.  They happen to have families who depend on a middle class income.  They have kids to send to school.  Unions stand on their merits.  They improved the working person's life in America.  Comments like your's always support the corporate interests over the workers interest.  We collectively are secure.  Sorry that you have to go it alone.

badazzzbusa wrote on April 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

787 Has no clue what right to work really is or means,. They aren't smart enough or willing enough to even find out for themselves. They just listen to GOP talking heads and are fooled by a slogan of "right to work". You've always had a right to work. Seek out some data and statistics before spouting off about things that you only repeat what you hear but really dont know and have an uniformed post 787. As well as all you other union haters.