Sheriff's office seeks help with attempted abduction

URBANA — The Champaign County sheriff's office is seeking information about a reported attempted abduction of two girls Wednesday afternoon in Urbana.

Neither girl was hurt, according to Lt. Greg Mills of the Champaign County sheriff's office.

According to a police report, Champaign County sheriff's deputies and Urbana police were called to the 1500 block of North Broadway Avenue, Urbana, at 3:11 p.m. after two 13-year-old girls reported an attempted abduction.

The girls said a school bus had dropped them off and they were walking a short distance toward their home when two men in a black pickup truck with possibly tinted windows asked them if they needed a ride.

The girls told the men they did not need a ride, and the truck left the area, headed south on Broadway.

The driver of the truck was described as a black man between 40 and 50 years old. He has a thin build with short black and gray hair, a royal blue shirt and prescription glasses.

The passenger in the truck was described as a black man in his 30s. He has a thin build with short black hair and was wearing a black and white striped shirt.

Persons with information about the incident are asked to call the Champaign County sheriff's office at 384-1204.

While local and state police were notified immediately about the attempted abduction, the sheriff's office did not release the information to the public until Thursday afternoon.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

oops wrote on May 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm

if you were to find this person ..good luck getting a conviction officers! we let 'em walk in Champaign County!

anony95 wrote on May 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm

How is asking them if they need a ride and then driving away when they said no an "attempted abduction?"  And how did they get such a detailed description - including "prescription glasses"-  in such a short period of time?  I'm just hoping that reporting an attempted abduction doesn't become such a fad that when there really is one, no one notices.

twostepsteve wrote on May 11, 2012 at 11:05 am

The IL legislature made it illegal to ask any child under the age of 16 if they need a ride unless you have their parents' permission to do so.

720 ILCS 5/10-5 a.(10): the trier of fact may infer that luring or attempted luring of a child under the age of 16 into a motor vehicle, building, housetrailer, or dwelling place without the express consent of the child's parent or lawful custodian or with the intent to avoid the express consent of the child's parent or lawful custodian was for other than a lawful purpose.

handyman65 wrote on May 12, 2012 at 12:05 am

How were the men to know the age of the girls? Have you seen the way the young ladies dress these days? And how is anyone to know that the mens intentions were of anything but lawful?They simply asked the girls if they needed a ride,when told no,drove off.Could they have been good samairtians wanting to help the girls?It just seems to me that today everyone is quick to judge without any evidence.

Last year while driving on bradley towards lincoln a downpour started and before I could get my window rolled up(crank withe the knob broke off) I heard someone yell help.I glanced over and seen 3 girls standing on the sidewalk.I turned around at the circle k and went back to see if I could help.I stopped and asked if they were ok? One of the girls started walking towards my truck and said what? I again in a louder voice asked if they were ok? The young lady yelled at the others to call the cops.I immediatly pulled away and was thinking what the hell was that about.I was simply being a good samairtian.I have no idea how old they were because it was getting dark and raining.Are you going to crucify me and lock me up for seeing if someone was in dire straits?People need to realize that not everyone is perverted and there still is some humanity in this world.

justmwa wrote on May 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Since when did it become illegal to ask someone if they needed a ride? When i clicked on the story, i thought i was going to read about an actual attempted abduction. Like victims getting away from the perp or perps  Perhaps N-G isn't telling the full story due to the girls ages. Something's a miss here.

billbtri5 wrote on May 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

my thoughts as well, maybe not the best idea but is offering a ride a crime in Illinois?