Fire destroys home in Ivesdale

Fire destroys home in Ivesdale

IVESDALE — Firefighters believe a lit cigarette thrown into a garbage can started to a fire that destroyed an Ivesdale home Monday night. Nobody was reported hurt.

According to an Ivesdale Fire Department report, firefighters were called at 7:13 p.m. to a fire in a single-story home at 201 Fourth St., Ivesdale. They were assisted by firefighters from Bement and Sadorus.

"When we got there, we saw smoke and flames coming from the northwest corner of the house," said Ivesdale Fire Chief Jim Brewer.

A man who lived in the home escaped without injuries, and Brewer said the Red Cross was helping him find a place to stay.

The fire was under control by 7:35 p.m., and firefighters left the scene at 8:30 p.m.

Brewer said the fire was caused by a lit cigarette thrown into a garbage can in a living room in the northwest corner of the home. He said the house appeared to be a total loss.

"The home is totally uninhabitable," he said.

Brewer said the owner of the property was listed as Robert Dick of Ivesdale.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments