20-year-old woman, teen accused of armed robbery

20-year-old woman, teen accused of armed robbery

URBANA — An Urbana woman and a teen who allegedly held up three men in Urbana on Sunday have both been criminally charged in Champaign County Circuit Court.

Urbana police Sgt. Dan Morgan said Wylesha K. Ayres, 20, who listed an address in the 400 block of South Dodson Drive, was charged Tuesday with armed robbery. The 14-year-old boy with her was charged in juvenile court Monday with violating the probation he was on in a 2011 burglary case and ordered held in custody until a hearing June 12.

Morgan said Ayres and the boy allegedly arranged, through another person, to sell drugs to a man in the 900 block of South Lierman Avenue in Urbana.

"However, it was a ruse to get him there with cash so they could rob him," Morgan said.

When the man and two companions arrived about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, the teen got into the back seat of the car and held a gun on them while Ayres allegedly grabbed the driver in a choke hold from outside the car. The men handed over about $350 and the pair took off.

Through investigation, Morgan said, police tracked Ayres and the teen to an apartment in the 900 block of South Lierman Avenue. They later obtained a search warrant and found the gun believed used in the holdup, clothing and other items that they collected as evidence.

Ayres and the youth were arrested Sunday.

Morgan said the victims denied that they had gone to Lierman to buy drugs and that Ayres and the teen denied involvement in a robbery. But other witnesses suggested that there was to be a drug transaction and that Ayres and the teen robbed the would-be customers of their cash, Morgan said.

Ayres was convicted of residential burglary in May 2011 and sentenced to six years in prison but given boot camp. She has a pending misdemeanor case alleging she committed criminal damage to property and possession of cannabis in Urbana on May 21.

On Tuesday, Judge Richard Klaus set Ayres' bond at $100,000 and told her to be back in court on June 19 with an attorney. If convicted, Ayres faces a mandatory prison sentence of between 21 and 45 years. She's currently on parole for residential burglary.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

areader wrote on June 05, 2012 at 2:06 pm

So, one is violating probation and the other on parole--what a pair!  Put 'em behind bars for awhile!  Maybe having time to think that what they're doing is a CRIME will teach them not to do it again!  Maybe . . . maybe not!  At least they're off the streets!

prideCU wrote on June 05, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Eradicate that entire neighborhood. It is nothing but trouble.

prideCU wrote on June 05, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I didn't say eradicate the people of that neighborhood as in Hitler-style. I think you and I both know that statistically that neighborhood is crime ridden. It has nothing to do with race either, as I have known white people in that area who have gotten into trouble. It all has to do with poor values and standards. As someone with children, I want my community to be safe. That is what I will keep pushing for-without being a Hitler, but cleaning up that area for sure.

True Story wrote on June 05, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I think it's fair to say these 2 people have proven themselves to not be productive members of society and never will be.  It's a shame taxpayers have to pay for them to live in prison but at least they wouldn't be on the streets committing crimes anymore.  It's just a shame they won't get life in prison.

SaintClarence27 wrote on January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

To be fair, one of them is a child. Obviously the likelihood isn't great, but there is a reason we have juvenille courts.

Brandon Booher wrote on June 05, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Conceal and carry needs to be allowed...all the criminals already pack.  Obvioiusly a guy there to buy drugs from them isn't many places up on the totem pole; but still he shouldn't be subjected to this.  I don't live close to this area, but I'm not that far away.  How long before they start breaking into homes (home invasions not simple break-ins) and causing serious trouble for people?  I can tell you this, you break into my house and you'll meet my two good friends, Sig Sauer and Mossberg.....I'm pretty leniant on what causes me to feel "imminent danger".  Seriously though....if you dont already...arm yourselves.  These idiots are going to keep getting braver and you don't want to be unprepared.