No injuries in Dobbins Downs fire

No injuries in Dobbins Downs fire

UPDATED 10:10 a.m. Saturday.

CHAMPAIGN - Fire caused $5,000 to $8,000 damage but no injuries to a home in the Dobbins Downs neighbothood in northwest Champaign.

Eastern Prairie Fire Protection District Lt. John Bell said a resident of the rental home at 1407 Dobbins Drive found a bathroom ceiling on fire shortly after 6:15 a.m. Saturday. He said quick action by Eastern Prairie firefighters, with help from Edge-Scott, Savoy and Carroll fire departments, had the fire out in 20 minutes and contained the damage to the bathroom. Pro Ambulance, the Champaign County sheriff's office, the Salvation Army and the Red Cross also responded.

Bell said the home would need repairs before the family could return. He said the owner, George Butts, was at the scene Saturday and had begun steps to get the repairs done.

Firefighters believe a malfunctioning ceiling fan was the cause of the fire. The home had working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, Bell said. 


Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

A Very Busy Mom wrote on June 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Great news that there were working smoke and carbon monoxide testers.

We don't always hear that when there is a fire.

Great job.