Bathroom vent fire displaces Urbana woman

Bathroom vent fire displaces Urbana woman

URBANA — A bathroom vent fan that caught fire early Wednesday will mean an Urbana woman is going to have to find another place to live for a while.

Urbana Fire Chief Mike Dilley said firefighters were called to the upstairs portion of a duplex at 720 S. Broadway Ave., U, about 6:21 a.m.

The resident was in the shower when she noticed smoke coming from the vent fan.

"The fan caught fire and it got into the attic. She caught it real early. Otherwise, we would have had a major fire," Dilley said.

However, the fire got into cellulose insulation and firefighters were having to pull chunks of it down through the ceiling.

He said the upstairs resident would be displaced for a while but the downstairs unit would be okay for occupancy.

Dilley estimated damage at $10,000.

The renter and her two pets got out safely, he said.

Comments embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments